Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experiment: Pondering the idea of a thread with pictures of splices WITHOUT Wire nut

thats right, just stripped and twisted wires.

I want to make a study of connecting the wires in such a way that they never come apart.

sometimes when connecting small valve wires wires to a single large wire ( ie. 14ga. would be large for me):
I find it frustrating to try to twist the wire nut and wires in such a way that its always a "tight bite".

I always leave connections in a seemingly tight bite state, but it sometimes takes a second -" re-strip and re-twist"

Any wiring Ninja's out there?

*For the purposes of this thread, please omit Plier crimp type connections.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Scaled reptile Finger Terrestrial animal Lizard
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Plant

Guy in my neck of woods uses the “I don’t do things to last, I’m in the repair business method”.
He’s no longer in biz but I make $$$ of his work, oh well cha Ching

·
Registered
491 Posts
I always cut the solenoid wire a bit longer, twist it up tight and insert it slightly ahead of the solid wire , The stranded wire is an issue. When I get it tight I’ll pull on both wires. So far so good. The only wire I pull the lineman’s out on is line voltage, oh and 2-wire repairs. Yea, sometimes it will pull out and have to be redone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure where these wire are sitting after you connect them, in the ground, a jinction box etc?
This can apply to non-soldered wires i suppose,
But when ever im soldering wires together and they need to be in a flat orientation, which is typically what you want i use the western union splice. Learned it from my high school electronics teacher many, many years ago.
I will attach a photo.
Font Slope Triangle Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
ive been having this problem alot this year and i feel like the wire nuts im getting from siteone are bunk.
The black/white bottom spray nuts sold under various names suck.

I started using these

they hold tight, in fact if you need to undo them you likely will need to cut the wires.

My method is to cut stranded-valve wire longer than solid and wrap it flat around the solid then twist on the we nut.

solid to solid I cut long and twist from the end with pliers , then twist on wp nut

·
Registered
56,806 Posts
For solenoid connections, I think that smaller wire nuts are better. More in keeping with the 18 gauge wire of the solenoids.

I know of some really old systems that used twisted-wire connections over an inch long, very thoroughly wrapped in electrical tape. Good electrical tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts