Topsoil has a lot of rocks in it

snoo3948

LawnSite Member
I had a lawn before, I dethatched many times and scalped. plan was to overseed with Tall Fescue. i ordered 5 yards and got it spread around my 2500 sq ft lawn. There was a heavy downpour and most of it got washed away. What I am left with is a lot of small rocks. Everything that looks like it can pass through the 1/2 inch screen but there are a ton of rocks. The picture attached is what I am left with.

What should I do now? Should I try to rake all the rocks and then spread seed or should I just spread seed on top of this and it wont matter? I am then going to rake in the seed lightly, add starter fertilizer and cover it with peat moss.

IMG_4021.JPG

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
Is that what the soil consists of or are the rocks just on the surface! If just on the surface you can scrape them off, seed and rake. If all the soil is like that, just seed, rake, and peat moss.

OP
S

snoo3948

LawnSite Member
I think this is what the soil might consist of. Is this bad topsoil? or is all topsoil like this. I got some from another supplier and i wasn't happy with that, it was full of sand and sticks.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Fanatic
It just depends on how well the soil is screened. That doesn't look that bad really. Some of the fines compact and/or wash away exposing more rocks. I think if it was me I would pick some of the biggest rocks and then just seed, rake, and peat moss. I've seeded over soil like that and it turns out looking good and I never see the stones again.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
If you want rockless soil you'll have to get mushroom soil, a sandy loam soil, but those are good for soils with clay in them

Top Forums