Tornado

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Guys: I was hit by a EF-1 Tornado last Sunday evening. Part of my house was destroyed, my MB was totaled, my truck had 10K of damage when the garage and barn collapsed onto them, but the most devastating part was my beautiful woods behind the house were destroyed. Huge trees the size of barrels were broken off and uprooted exposing 10' of roots with ground around them with holes the size of a pool. I spent 40 years of grooming those woods to the point of weed eating them. There were almost 4 acres of them. All gone. My heart and soul are just breaking. I was outside when all of this happened removing the antenna from my wife's VW, looked around and saw a brown green mass moving in, heard the freight train sound (Yes, it's true) and before I could move towards the house, I was lifted up and threw over a bank which sheltered me and watched my garage/barn and everything therein blown away like dust. What a awful sight.
Thanks for just reading--

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Wow! That was a terrible thing to go through. There is one bright side. You were hit by a Tornado and lived to tell about it. Not many thrown in the air live to see another day. You have a story to tell that is very unique. A horror story for sure and sorry for your loss of property and the wooded area. But man, you're lucky to be alive to see the damages. F-0 and F-1 tornado's are what we get most of in SC and they can be like flying chain saw/bulldozers as you found out first hand.
Not trying to minimize what happened. Just saying it could have been a lot worse. You could be seriously injured or dead:waving:

OP
R

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Thanks Charles! This happened to my house in TN. I'll have some photos when I have time to work on the size requirement.

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
Poignant and heart-breaking. I am genuinely sorry and hope that very soon your misfortune and sense of despair can somehow be lightened. In my limited exposure to such tragedies I have found the kindness and generosity of others inspiring and humbling.

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
Sorry to hear you lost so much but glad everyone is ok. The weather the last few weeks has been strange. Several times it seemed as tho a tornado was coming though here in Myrtle Beach. Where are you located in SC?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Terrible experience! You were so lucky. I am glad to hear you made it out alive. I hope you had good insurance. Of course there is a lot that insurance doesn't cover. Like the woodlot for instance. So sad what with all the trees blown over and ripped in half. Leaving big holes in the ground.

We had an F1 tornado about 8 blocks from my house last month. There was no warning except severe thunderstorm. Amazing the size of trees that were just broken off. Trunks 36 inches in diameter snapped like match sticks.

I hope you recover most of your losses and can continue with your business.

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
We were hit a few years ago by that F4- F-5, I watched it come out of sky and filmed it over 4 1/2 mins, it was brutal but the first time I ever seen one in person, went all the way up in to GA then TN.

At least your alive and safe

1.jpg

2.jpg

2011-04-28 11.13.10.jpg

Top Forums