Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know your fed up with all these threads comparing equipment, but I need know how the new 6hp 4 cycle engines on the toro stack up with the old dependable 5.5 Suzuki. My dealer still has 2 of the Suzuki's left in stock and I cant make my decision. Has anyone used the Honda/kawasaki engines? any input is greatly appreciated.:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is the preformance. Are the 4 cycle more powerful? I dont mind changing the oil once a week if I have a better mower.

·
1,770 Posts
id get the 2 cycle...have your dealer crank the rpm's up to 3700 with the blades spinning and its leaves a awesome cut...cant be out mulched by any other 21 inch mower.
i have one ive had since 89 still chugging along.

Expensive but you cant ware em out .

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the kawa has more power and torque. Even though it is more maintenance I do not regret getting rid of my suzuki and getting the 6.5 kawa.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We have 2 Toro Proline 21's one with a 5.5hp Kawasaki and the other has a 5.5hp Suzuki. The Kawasaki has more torque in thick grass, such as Bermuda and Zyosia. There is less maintenance on the Suzuki and it has a larger fuel tank. We like the Kawasaki better, but wish it had a bigger fuel tank. ( Suzuki has 1 gal tank)

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
The biggest benefit to the Suzukis is the light weight...If your guys are cutting 15-20 small res. props a day w/Prolines the Kaw will wear them out quick... turning & pulling backwards & occasional lifting...have found better production w/Suzukis.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The new 6.5 kawa do have the bigger fuel tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have two of the 21 Prolines. One 3 year old Suzuki 5.5hp and a two week old 6.5 hp Kawasaki. We all think the Kawasaki has more torque and power in tall and wet grass. We bag everything!

Both machines have the one gallon fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have a year old 6 hp kawasaki engine on a toro proline and just picked up a suzuki powered one. The kawasaki is a good engine but it has bogged down for me in thick, wet turf. I think the new 6.5 hp kawasaki rated at 179 cc might help the power. The Suzuki is rated at 122 cc so it should not be as powerful as the kawasaki but being a two stroke, it should give you two strokes for each stroke a 4 cycle engine gives you. Once we start cutting here in a few weeks, I should be able to tell better. In addition, the lighter weight of the Suzuki should make for a quicker cutting unit even though both the kawasaki and Suzuki have the same speed.

How high should you put the rpms on the Suzuki? I set the kawasaki to 3600 rpm and it works great.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jimmy,

The mowers were at 2 different dealers. ( lawn + Garden warehouse in ft. worth, outdoor world in Azle) Lawn and garden warehouse sold the last one yesterday. Outdoor World's website is www.23tomow.com

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can get the suzuki's for less than $1000 here in oklahoma city.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I really like the suzuki. I have no problems with mine

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.