1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Toro 52" Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Conoverbandit, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I got a toro 52" walk behind with a Kohler engine on it. We bought it used, so I don't really know any back ground on it. Here's my problem, I can crank it, turn on the blades and they'll run for about 20-30 min. then they shut off, I push the switch.....nothing, I wiggle the wires and nothing, I shut it down and let it "cool off" for about 10-15 min. and crank it back up and the blades work again. A friend on mine suggested maybe a bad relay? I did notice that the clutch gets really hot when this happens, but the blades don't change when mowing higher or heavier grass then regular grass so I don't think the clutch is slipping but I could be wrong. Thanks y'all for any help.

Conoverbandit

2. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with mine. I'm going to replace the clutch and hopefully that take care of the problem.

3. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

I,ve had Toro's since 1996 it is the clutch (maybe just the spacing[gap] but it is the clutch.

4. Ross in IL

Ross in IL LawnSite Member

Try adjusting the clutch first it's really easy and doesn't cost anything to try.
    Ross