Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've noticed this past week that mainly when I make a right hand turn and as I'm straightening up, I sometimes have a loss of power from the machine. Within 15 seconds the power returns. I've also seen it just travelling in a straight direction. My fluids all look good. I haven't ran it enough to tell if its a problem right away from a cold engine or after it runs for awhile. I'm just wondering if this is a hydraulic or possibly an electrical issue? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Just by chance, is there any mechanics near Harpers Ferry, WV that have experience with the 580D? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

We had a lot of rain here in WV, so I didn't get back in the Toro saddle until this week. I made some videos with .MOV extension, but it didn't seem to be an acceptable format to attach. I've gathered some more data with this second run. It will:

• Lose power both with blades engaged or disengaged and with moving or sitting still
  • It appears to occur more frequently the longer I mow
  • I noticed it losing power mostly when turning the steering wheel, but it will sometimes happen going straight
  • I haven't noticed any hydraulic leaks

After I post this, I'll check to see what files I can upload. Possibly I can convert these .MOV files. Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
So I just watched the posted videos, just going to throw this out there; are you sure that the loss of power is in the hydraulic system? Engine sounds like it’s loosing power, does it have fresh diesel fuel and clean filters?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeRagMan,

Thanks for you time. I was leaning that way myself after I ran it this week. It has fresh fuel, but I'm not sure when I changed the fuel filter last. It could have been last year, but not sure. I date them when possible, so I'll check it tomorrow and get back with you. You mentioned filters - is there more than one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeRagMan,

I changed both the fuel filter / water separator in 10/21/20. I've put 30 hours on the machine since then. I have not drained the fuel tank. I'll drain the water separator and see if that might be the issue. With our 50 degree swings in temperature during the day that could very well be the issue. Thank you Joe for the link. Lol, I'll definitely take water in the separator over replacement of a deck motor.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As an old aircraft refueler, try to collect a sample out of the water separator into a clear container. Let the sample settle and visually inspect. Usually suspended water will settle to the bottom. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I opened the pet**** on the water separator and nothing came out but a few drops of diesel. I ran the machine for 25 minutes and tried again, still nothing. The machine ran well for the first 20 minutes and then started losing power again, so I'm wondering if temperature is playing a part. There's a hydraulic breather that I haven't changed out that I'll order.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On page 25 of the manual that I linked to, there is a procedure to bleed the fuel system. If the fuel filters have been recently serviced, probably not the problem. But if they haven’t been serviced, try opening the pea**** and then use the manual primer to see if anything comes out of the water/separator. I am thinking that the water/separator is in a vacuum so only a small amount will drain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received the Hydraulic Breather in the mail today and installed it. I noticed the old one was completely blocked. I wasn't hopeful when I started mowing that this would solve the problem, but I had no loss of power during the 80 minutes of mowing. I'll feel more confident once I run it again with no issues, but replacing this breather appeared to make a difference. Anyways, if it comes back next week, I'll follow-up. Thank you JoeRagMan for the link to the manual and all your advice. It forced me to back through the manual where I found this breather that I wasn't even aware of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts