Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys my dad is now letting me get a walkbehind
i am thinking about getting a toro belt drive w/ a 44" floating deck w/ a 15 kaw what do you guys think

one of the reasons i am consindering this is because of the t-bar

have some questions for ya

how does it cut?
which kind of velky should i get? (thinking about a two wheeled one)
is a 15 kaw enough power?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by challenger55
hey guys my dad is now letting me get a walkbehind
i am thinking about getting a toro belt drive w/ a 44" floating deck w/ a 15 kaw what do you guys think

one of the reasons i am consindering this is because of the t-bar

have some questions for ya

how does it cut?
which kind of velky should i get? (thinking about a two wheeled one)
is a 15 kaw enough power?
CONGRATS!! QOC is excellent on Toro (made there rep in the golf course biz)

15 horse is enough power for the mower - how big are you? Weight is a consideration - have you looked at the vilkey Toro offers - TruTrax doesn't pivot is mounted solid to the unit- backing up is a breeze

·
Registered
72 Posts
Finally talked Dad into it huh?

you have been looking around at Hill Lawn mower. Right?

My Toro has a 17 HP motor, but I know a guy in town that has one with the 15. He said it works great, last I heard he was going to buy another.

I like the T bar better than the pistol grips that was on my John Deere.

the toro gives a pretty good cut.

Get the two wheel Velke, mine has the single wheel, and I donnot like the pattern it leaves on the grass. to many tire marks.

One thing to remember with a belt drive, if the belt gets wet it will slip. When I replace my WB I will get a hydro.

Have you been to Central Lawn and looked at the Exmark? They don't have the T bar but the guys on here seem to like them, you may want to see what all is out there.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some other question

i know the decks on this mower will not recut the grass but can you really tell?

how does the mulching kit do?

do you need to do a 3point turn with this mower?

how well does it cut in tall grass?

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Originally posted by davesgs75
One thing to remember with a belt drive, if the belt gets wet it will slip.
Thats an outright lie. If yours are slipping, they are not adjusted right.

Challenger,

I recomend that you get the 48" toro fixed deck gear driven walk behind. It comes with the 15 Kaw, which will be plenty of power. The deck of the 48" toro is the exact same deck that is used on Exmark mowers that recieve such fame. It does recut the grass, and does a fine job at that. I got mine, 3 years ago, for $2500 or so. I would expect you will be spending around $2800 for yours. Any more questions, just ask.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I run a Toro 44" gear drive with a 14 hp Kohler.I use a Jungle Jim's sulky and love the combination.The belt slipping thing is greatly overstated like MacLawnCo said . If they are slipping it takes 30 seconds to adjust them even if your in the middle of a yard. NO TOOLS The T-Bar is awsome and very easy to learn. As far as them not cutting clippings small enough if your cutting off 6" of grass you will have to double cut.Mine is on it's 5th season and I'm looking at new ones and am thinking of buying another just like it.By the way the 44" will drive straight through a 4' gate.

·
Registered
267 Posts
ive got the same exact mower you are wanting. go with it! i have had mine 2 years never had a problem. the cut is great get a jungle jim velke. i bought a mulch kit for mine but took it off this year, grass clumped up to much up under the deck

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have ( 2) 44 Toro's - a 15hp gear drive and a 14hp hydro. I have almost all hills around here and weigh 200lbs, single wheel velkies on both - no problems. The machines work great for me and I think the cut is very nice, especially when the grass is tall or wet. I personally think the floating decks are worth their weight in gold for the wide range of height adjustability - especially in spring when things are growing fast. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I bought a Toro Fixed deck 48" with the Kawasaki 15 hp Twin almost 2 months ago. It is a belt drive, and I have had no problems with the belts slipping so far. We've had some very wet conditions here the past couple of months, so I've had ample time to test it out. To me, it cuts very well and has plenty of power. This weekend I'm putting on a set of high-lifts, so we'll see if and how it changes the way it cuts. I bought a single wheel velke to go along with the mower, and I like it ok as well. I haven't had the privledge of trying out a 2 wheeler, but most I've talked to around East TN prefer the single wheel. Most of them say the single tracks better. I paid $2795 for the Toro and $260 for the velke. Best of luck.

Tim

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've got an 44" toro with the 15hp Kolher on it and it'll cut tall wet grass with no problems.
Some places you have to run over it again to disperse the clippings more but i can live with that.
And as someone else said it'll fit through the narrower gates that you come across at some places.

Dan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just recently bought a used 36, but i looked at the new ones. I would have purchased it from Bob's Power Equip in bham. In the process he told me that the tax or something was different for a rider than a walkbehind, but if I bought the jungle wheels (which were $250) it could be classifed as a rider, therefore saving me $200 and I would really only be paying $50 for the jungle wheels. This may be the same in Huntsville, but i'm not sure. It would be worth looking into.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
I love my 44" classic deck (horizontal height adjust pins) Toro t bar belt drive. The cut is excellent on Tall Fescue and it mows through high grass like a knife through butter with a briggs 16hp twin (surprisingly the best engine I've ever had). It does, however, scalp and leave mow lines in Bermuda mown low due to the long trim overhang. It also won't mow steep slopes w/o leaving a grove in Bermuda on the trim side, also due to the overhang.

So if you are doing high quality Bermuda lawns, you might want to go with another walkbehind design, such as possibly the Toro new 44" deck design, which I also had on a hydro and did cut low stuff well, but didn't handle tall grass as well. Be sure to try the mower on one of your lawns first.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bruce - You hit it on the head for me. Most grass in Alabama is bermuda. Man is it a pain. My mower cuts it great.....going straight, but I'm still working on a neat cut in the turns. So far the 21 incher makes for a nicer end result.

Cutting like a knife through butter in thick grass has not happened to me yet. It may be because i have the reclycler deck and i am mulcing, but I have new belts and sharp blades. I cut my own yard every 5 days. I can go full speed on it, but if bermuda has gone 7 days or more i have to cut it slower, then usually have to run back over it some to get the small lines of clumps it leaves.

Overall I like the mower though, I think its just the bermuda I hate.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
challenger55,

The sfs decks don't recut, which is why they work so good in tall or wet grass. They are made to get the garbage out fast and in big quantities. I think it depends on the type of grass you cut wheter or not this is a good thing. For me it is a good thing because I cut all cool season thin grasses that tend to clump and weave together on the way out of the mower. With the sfs I actually don't have to go over lawns too often because I get such a wide dispersal without clumps or windrows. From what I read on here, guys who cut the stiff warm season grasses don't like the sfs too much. Try one out if you can, and then decide.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by AuburnGuy
Bruce - You hit it on the head for me. Most grass in Alabama is bermuda. Man is it a pain. My mower cuts it great.....going straight, but I'm still working on a neat cut in the turns. So far the 21 incher makes for a nicer end result.

Cutting like a knife through butter in thick grass has not happened to me yet. It may be because i have the reclycler deck and i am mulcing, but I have new belts and sharp blades. I cut my own yard every 5 days. I can go full speed on it, but if bermuda has gone 7 days or more i have to cut it slower, then usually have to run back over it some to get the small lines of clumps it leaves.

Overall I like the mower though, I think its just the bermuda I hate.
I would gladly endure Chicago winters just to not have to mow Bermuda. After 12 years I still struggle with getting good results with bigger decks. And my 44" will cut TALL FESCUE like a knife through butter, Bermuda is far too tough to mow fast when tall. I liken it to trying to mow the welcome mat at your house.

I cut my Bermuda lawn twice a week and it's a breeze, even mulching. Cutting weekly leaves it looking scalped, like most of the Bermuda lawns I do for customers unless I mow high.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by BRIAN GALLO
challenger55,

The sfs decks don't recut, which is why they work so good in tall or wet grass. They are made to get the garbage out fast and in big quantities. I think it depends on the type of grass you cut wheter or not this is a good thing. For me it is a good thing because I cut all cool season thin grasses that tend to clump and weave together on the way out of the mower. With the sfs I actually don't have to go over lawns too often because I get such a wide dispersal without clumps or windrows. From what I read on here, guys who cut the stiff warm season grasses don't like the sfs too much. Try one out if you can, and then decide.
Right on the money there, Brian. I cut a weedy lawn with common Bermuda in it after 3 weeks once with my SFS toro 44". HORRIBLE results, had to triple mow. You're right on the money about the cool season grass weaving together and forming clumps with mowers that don't get the grass out fast and try to recut it, if it's too tall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.