Toro closing LT Rich factory, Where is your spring order?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stihl036pro, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

The Toro buyout with LT Rich has got me really angry. I ordered a thatcher and a overseeder for my LT rich aerator. I ordered the two attachments on April 2. I was promised a two week period before they arrived. I called two weeks to the day after not receiving the attachments. What they told me was a big surprise! Toro is shutting down the LT rich factory and moving it to Minnesota. None of the employees are going. In fact, from what I was told. most everyone on the assembly line left there jobs after hearing the news of the plant being shut down. This is leaving left them extremely short staffed to fulfill spring orders. Well, Its been three weeks now and the overseeder just arrived at site one. The thatcher is still missing. I recently worked really hard to acquire a huge new account that I take very seriously. I made promises to them because I was told that I would receive the attachments within two weeks. I was hired to thatch 18 acres of mowable lawn and a private estate. It was Friday afternoon (April 20th) and I was expecting the attachments to arrive. No attachments! I had already pushed the very large thatching job off earlier in the week. I was supposed to be there on Saturday (April 21). I was panicking until my friend offered to let me use his Jarco thatcher. (BTW is awesome) This allowed me to fulfill my commitment to my new customer. The way I feel about this situation. Is that by announcing the shut down of the LT Rich company at the start of the spring season. That gave the employees good reason to walk off the job. Toro failed to make other provisions to fulfill spring orders. The right thing to do would have been to wait until the spring rush was over to make that announcement of the shutdown. My livelihood and my reputation was at stake here. To say that I am upset is an understatement. I've been in business for 18 years. I've Been through it all just like some of the guys on this site. I will never buy anything from Toro. There has to other people out there dealing with the same thing.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you shouldn't have made a promise you had no control over.

What if the factory burned? Wiped out by a tornado?

3. Mark Oomkes

You really dethatched 18 acres???

How many semi loads of crap was that?

4. Stihl036pro

There is a place on site to dump. I'm not done with the job yet. What I did last Saturday was 6 acres. It was about 10 yards of thatch. The jarco rake breaks it up pretty good but it does not pull thatch up like the husqvarna thatcher.

5. Mark Oomkes

Why is the thatch so bad?

How much thatch is there?

Cultural?

Compacted soil?

Type of turf?

6. Stihl036pro

I think its from over fertilization to keep it green because the soil is not the best.
    Its never been aerated
    1" of thatch with matted down grass, some leaves are embedded into turf. It not that bad but enough to run the thatcher over it.
    It was seeded three years ago with metro mix from site one. I didn't do the seeding.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest this isn’t toros fault. The leadership of Zspray dropped the ball. They saw the dollar signs and didn’t do right by there people. The way you make it sound. Toro gave them an offer and they didn’t counter offer or think of there loyal employees. Don’t blame Toro for this this is on the leadership of Zspray.

8. Stihl036pro

I respectfully think that Toro is at fault because they did not make provisions to fulfill spring orders in the event of the employees leaving. Toro has the resources to put employees in that plant to produce orders. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. The LT rich employees where probably really upset which I don't blame them. Either way, I still do not have my thatcher.

9. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think both sides are complicit. More L.T. Rich. It’s called a failure of leadership. lT Rich agreed to the sale. They dropped the ball without thinking the sale through and putting there customers and employees who d the ball. I am sure toro is jumping through hoops to get the line moving.

ETM likes this.
  10. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

Been thinking about a new rideon. Thought it might be a zspray. Don’t really know what to think about them right now. Don’t know what I’m gonna do yet. Might just wait and see how this buyout turns out.