Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on here few weeks back about my Toro dealer being rude when I went in to look at a new mower but I really wanted a Toro.

I finally purchased a low hour used 557 and went in today to get mulching blades for it. I tried to find some at other dealers to no avail so I begrudingly went to the Toro dealer. I took a deep breath before I went it because I knew he would be PO'd that I did not buy from him.

Well, it was as bad as I thought it would be. He gave me a funny look when I went in. He then told me he was glad I found a used one because he sure would not sell me one after the email I sent Toro about him. I was surprised because I really did not think they would follow through with the complaint and had actually forgotten about the email.

He told me that he would put his regular clients before me. I informed him he was getting paid warranty or not and I understood that he would put his clients first but enough is enough. I left before it got ugly. He told me the rep for our area called him laughing about my email (which I don't believe) and told him not to worry or do nothing about it, that I was the only person who has ever complained about him, ever! BS!

I then called Toro and explained this to them. They said they get a lot of ludicrus email they ignore but mine was not one of them so they followed up on it. I told him about the dealer saying the rep called laughing about it and the CS informed me "No sir, we don't think this is funny at all, we don't like any clients or potential clients being treated rude". I told him that now I probably will have to drive 70 miles one way to get it worked on. He said they could not make the dealer work on it but highly encouraged them to.Actually by me sending the complaint think I made it worse!:nono:

He said he did not understand what the guys problem was, he gets paid his shop labor by us for warranty or you buy parts for it from him, what was his problem, especially in our not so great economy.

Oh well, I really like the mower but I may get rid of it just because of this!
I did get all the warranty info transfered such as it is. What a horrible experience having to deal with an azz!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dont know why warranty is being brought up but oh well.

I am sure nothing happened to the dealer. Rep probably called, they chatted for a little and that was the end of it.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the mower is still under warranty.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Closest Exmark dealer is 40 miles away. Not worried about getting parts, there are some non Toro dealer here who can get them for me. Main thing I was concerned about is getting warranty work done. Hopefully I will never need any.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
That's why, when you find a good dealer, stick with them. Pretty much at all costs too. Good luck in this situation.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. However, the only decent dealer we have does not sell what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
wow, Can you talk with the owner about this idiot? I would take it to him or write a letter to the owner. Seems to me it boarders on harassment, especially since you may still buy from that shop in the future (potentially). I wouldn't think he (the owner) would want to lose business because of some jerk.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, Can you talk with the owner about this idiot? I would take it to him or write a letter to the owner. Seems to me it boarders on harassment, especially since you may still buy from that shop in the future (potentially). I wouldn't think he (the owner) would want to lose business because of some jerk.
This guy IS the owner!

·
Registered
17,863 Posts
I posted on here few weeks back about my Toro dealer being rude when I went in to look at a new mower but I really wanted a Toro.

I finally purchased a low hour used 557 and went in today to get mulching blades for it. I tried to find some at other dealers to no avail so I begrudingly went to the Toro dealer. I took a deep breath before I went it because I knew he would be PO'd that I did not buy from him.

Well, it was as bad as I thought it would be. He gave me a funny look when I went in. He then told me he was glad I found a used one because he sure would not sell me one after the email I sent Toro about him. I was surprised because I really did not think they would follow through with the complaint and had actually forgotten about the email.

He told me that he would put his regular clients before me. I informed him he was getting paid warranty or not and I understood that he would put his clients first but enough is enough. I left before it got ugly. He told me the rep for our area called him laughing about my email (which I don't believe) and told him not to worry or do nothing about it, that I was the only person who has ever complained about him, ever! BS!

I then called Toro and explained this to them. They said they get a lot of ludicrus email they ignore but mine was not one of them so they followed up on it. I told him about the dealer saying the rep called laughing about it and the CS informed me "No sir, we don't think this is funny at all, we don't like any clients or potential clients being treated rude". I told him that now I probably will have to drive 70 miles one way to get it worked on. He said they could not make the dealer work on it but highly encouraged them to.Actually by me sending the complaint think I made it worse!:nono:

He said he did not understand what the guys problem was, he gets paid his shop labor by us for warranty or you buy parts for it from him, what was his problem, especially in our not so great economy.

Oh well, I really like the mower but I may get rid of it just because of this!
I did get all the warranty info transfered such as it is. What a horrible experience having to deal with an azz!!
Geesh...had I not read where you were from I would have thought you were describing my dealer!! By the way...dealers hate when you go behind their backs and talk to manufacturer...I did the same thing to my dealer with a Snapper...I felt I was getting nowhere with my dealer. Talk about getting nowhere...you should try to suck it up and patch things up with your dealer like I did.

·
Registered
17,863 Posts
You could also drive the mower right through is front door.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I've been having issues with my bob-cat dealer, they refused to service my mower and were extremely rude toward me. I didn't think that it was right to have a dealer refuse to service my equipment so I e-mailed bob-cat about it. They then forwarded it to the distributing company and now I am working with the Territory manager. He will be meeting with the dealer this week or next and then probably with me to make sure that I continue to buy bob-cat mowers. This too was the first time that a larger company has come through like this.

·
Banned
4,484 Posts
1. I'm sure you know by now that you should have gone with your gut and just avoided this clown. I like Toros but I can't think of much they have that you cannot find somewhere else. Even the gear drive T bar wb advantage is eroding.

2. Curious. Why haven't you named the dealer in your thread?

3. Do that, then print out this thread and send THAT to Toro. Stick to the facts. If they know they have a PR problem they might be more motivated to motivate this guy. I'm sure Toro does not want this guy giving them a reputation problem. When one signs a franchise/dealer agreement they lose the right to treat customers as we as sole proprietors do, telling them to shove off. They should remain professional and not be so petty as to punish those who don't buy mowers from them.

4. The good news is, most of my mowers have not needed warranty work, and when they did, it was serious enough that a long drive to a better dealer would not be the end of the world.

5. In fact, next time it does need work, call up Toro and ask if they would do you a favor and call another dealer and ask if you could bring yours in. This puts that dealer in the position of having to ok it or acknowledge some sort of incorrect treatment of non-buyers before you waste time there. Toro knows that if all brand dealers acted this way, their brand would be worthless. Part of the appeal of buying a "toro" vs a no-name mower is that it has a dealer NETWORK, not just your local yokel, standing behind it. They also realize that few would buy their mowers if they thought they could not resell them since nobody wants a mower a dealer won't work on.

6. Any engine work can be done at any licensed shop, and at some point the cost may be worth not having to wait around or drive far away and waste hours on the road.

7. If it's something simple, you can order parts online (takes a little searching) and slap them on yourself. The time saved is usually worth just paying for the part.

8. There are a lot of bad mower dealers. If you find a good one, try to stick with brands they carry.

9. Dealer quality and time spent delivering/retrieving broken machines is a good argument for selling off older gear before it hits the age where it breaks down a lot. At $60/hr or more, your time starts to be worth more than the cost savings.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I dont know what type of town in georgia you live in, but before you consider selling it, look into these small time guys that repair things on the side. Sure they aren't dealers, but they do the same quality work, and for a better price. Thats just my take on it. Do as you wish, but I find these part time guys to be great.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more thing. Why not just have a friend bring it in? That way the guy wont know it is you that needs the work done.
Green Team, I don't know if that would work or not since Toro has my name in the system to go with the serial number. I should not have to go to this much trouble. I have already decided to get rid of it and stick with another dealer, either snapper or Gravely. I will say the Toro leaves a beautiful clean shaven cut and the mulch kit works great. I have no complaints about the mower, just the dealer.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more thing. Why not just have a friend bring it in? That way the guy wont know it is you that needs the work done.
Sorry, double post. I can't even hit the right button tonight. Also don't know if the small time guys can do warranty unless they are a dealer. Dang, I used to think Toyota was bad......

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Green Team, I don't know if that would work or not since Toro has my name in the system to go with the serial number. I should not have to go to this much trouble. I have already decided to get rid of it and stick with another dealer, either snapper or Gravely. I will say the Toro leaves a beautiful clean shaven cut and the mulch kit works great. I have no complaints about the mower, just the dealer.
Yeah, I guess I didnt think about that. Sorry to hear that, and I think that that's total BS right there. The dealer shouldn't make you sell it, you should decide to. That's totally gay, but what can you do? How much are you selling it for?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.