Toro/Exmark spreader sprayer owners

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Spd319, Jun 2, 2018.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I run an Exmark and really like the machine. Nozzles are easy to swap out for different rates, I usually run the stock ones which will give you 60k a tank but have a pair of grey tips that will spread a tank over 80k that I use on some larger lawns.

It's easy to calibrate your spread to match the spraying pattern and do both.

Learning to circle is a must to get the most out of the machine, especially if you want to do both at once. Spreading and spraying at the same time while doing a grid would be a pita since the material from each lands at a different distance from the machine.

Marine03112 and Walker56 like this.
  2. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently using a PG, looking to upgrade. Asking a lot of questions about various machines to get feedback from people using them.
    Do you have a separate tank on the machine for another herbicide mix so you don't have to blanket apply or go back with a backpack or hand sprayer?

3. That Guy Gary

Not at the moment but I want to add one.

4. Wes Parker

Wes Parker LawnSite Member

I have the exmark and I put a battery powered backpack in the hopper because I don’t spread and spray at the same time. I put a 15’Jose on the sprayer and for me that as a 3rd tank works like a charm.
    I also do allot of maintenance and this machine saves me allot of steps especially on commercial properties where there is allot of blowing. Namely street curbs after they have been edged. Sometimes I just put on a backpack blower and other times I will pull a push blower because the machine is easy to drive with one hand.

jcollett83 likes this.
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We used the Exmark spreader/sprayer 4 different times, cuz we were looking hard at using it. But too many problems. Steering was the main issue. Confusing controls was the next. Other issues too. We ended up taking it back to our Exmark dealer. Had to pay "restocking fee".

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Larry, I'm shocked that you even considered something other than a T...

americanlawn likes this.
  7. That Guy Gary

The steering I understand. It's definitely different but once you get the hang of it one handed steering in either direction is easy.

When I'm spot spraying you'll often find me going in reverse because there is nothing blocking my view.

The controls though? I don't have experience with other ride ons, what is different about the Exmark?

8. kswiney

kswiney LawnSite Member

We run the exmark and love it. Not a lot of spreading and spraying at the same time but we do it occasionally. The machine handles everything we throw at it. It could use a bigger motor however 99% of the time not an issue. We spray 20g to 1 acre. This machine is very easy to operate with a minimal learning curve. I highly recommend them. My only regret is not buying them sooner.

Marine03112 likes this.
  9. grnwaylawncare

grnwaylawncare LawnSite Member

It'll be interesting to see how Toro changes their lineup with the acquisition of LT Rich, maker of the Z-Spray. I've been using a Z-Sprayer since 2002. The only power issue is it flipping over backward going up a steep hill. The 15 horse Vanguard is an excellent power plant. Stable as a billy goat and all the power you need, with versatility in spray options.

10. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I do a lot of spreading and spraying at the same time with my current setup. One of the things I want with a newer machine is the ability to add another tank of chem with a wand for spot treatments. I really like what I have for a machine for the properties that I service, but it's time for an upgrade. Handling hills is a must and it has to be able to climb curbs easily.