toro grand stand

Racerrick72

LawnSite Member
I have a Toro 48" grand stand commercial mower with the Kawasaki engine on it.. I just installed a new head on the engine and adjusted the valve lash in both heads replaced both spark plugs with new and of the correct brand and number. fresh air filter as well. but since its back up and running my guys are telling me the mower seems to lack power I check the idle speed as well to be sure its correct. The idle speed was just a shy below 3500 rpm. Could anyone help me out to figure out this issue. I have checked everything that iv done and done see any reason for this issue. thank you in advance

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
This needs to be in 'mechanic & repair'. Idle speed at 3500?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a Toro 48" grand stand commercial mower with the Kawasaki engine on it.. I just installed a new head on the engine and adjusted the valve lash in both heads replaced both spark plugs with new and of the correct brand and number. fresh air filter as well. but since its back up and running my guys are telling me the mower seems to lack power I check the idle speed as well to be sure its correct. The idle speed was just a shy below 3500 rpm. Could anyone help me out to figure out this issue. I have checked everything that iv done and done see any reason for this issue. thank you in advance
The HP in the engine is supposed to say 25 not 5!

Sorry... couldn’t resist

OP
R

Racerrick72

LawnSite Member
Just to help out I looked up the exact engine on my mower. It's a Kawasaki 19 horse twin cylinder. It's model# is fh580v-fs30-r I double checked the idle speed I'm just below 3500 and the spec is actually 3600rpm. hope this info helps.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Couple of things to check.......

When you had the control panel off, are you sure you put the rods and springs back in the correct holes etc ? Is the butterfly in the carb opening completely with the throttle at WOT ?

Did you remove the governor arm by any chance ?

Any way, go to section 12-2 page 28, it explains how to set high speed idle......

Attachments

OP
R

Racerrick72

LawnSite Member
I did not unhook the any rods I left the control panel just sit there cuz it was out of my way enough to do what was needed. The governor I did not need to do anything with. i did check my idle speed and that was just a shy below 3600. I said 3500 before but I ment 3600

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Did u have both heads off ? What was wrong with the head u replaced ?
Have u double checked the valve adj. per manual ?
Could be a bad coil.
Kaw. are known fer faulty/ intermittent coil operation. They act fine, till ya put a load on them.

OP
R

Racerrick72

LawnSite Member
Ok sorry. I only replaced one head. I only had the one head off that I replaced. Yes I check both heads valve adjustment per the manual. I didn't think of the coils. I'll check them next thank you