1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Grandstand Review.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Jun 13, 2009.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I bought a 23hp 52" GS on Thursday. I have to say that the machine is built very well. The ride is very nice and above all the cut quality is fantastic.

I have been mowing with Wright Standers for 6 years... I really love the agility and speed of those machines but I finally had enough with the poor cut quality when mower conditions were not perfect.

I mowed 17 lawns on my first day out on the machine. My overall rating would be an A, with some small areas that have room for improvement.......many of which I think I can make some adjustments and solve.

Things I like:
    1. the cut quality - I mowed in a drizzle in the morning and had no problems with clumping.....With the Stander I probably would have been cussing.... As conditions improved things just got better.... Eventually I adjusted the baffle closed and was very impressed with the dispersion of the clippings..

2. The ride was very comfortable. I got to do some hill mowing and it did just fine once I got the "feel" of it.

Things I could like better...

1. the speed - I am gonna mess around with this a little......I am sure this can be adjusted up....

2. the control panel is at what I think is an awkward angle. the control ar kinda in the way of easily getting to the throttle, etc... this is something I will just have to get used to...

3. Control levers were VERY stiff......hoping to adjust those as well.....

Overall I have very happy...... I think as I get more time on it, and the controls before more "sub-conscience" it will get even better.....

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Whats the word on the striping? I am going to demo one next week. Do you know if there is a huge difference between a 52 and 48 on uneven lawns, etc.?

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

it stripes well with out any type of kits..........but I will probably add a rubber flap as I have on all my mowers, the wheel base on this mower is so wide that I cant see how you would need to go small than a 52"

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

What did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer has quite a few of them that I druel over every time I go in to his shop. I have only driven one on his lot but it seem to be a sweet machine.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I have not paid a single penny yet, I took the 36 month 0% interest loan., but the price was $8019.00 out the door......you can get a good discount if you mow for a church, school, gov. office etc......

Unfortunately I do not.......

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would absolutely NOT adjust the speed, it is going to void your warranty. It really is just not a good idea, this stuff is commercial equipment and it comes from the factory with the "prime" settings. You pay 8,000 for a machine because it has been engineered to perform at its peak. I can not stress enough that you should not tweak your speed.

As far as the control levers, on every new/newer machine I have had they are always stiff and tight from being new, they normally loosen up a bit.....

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Thanks for the input.

I have always tweaked the RPMs on every commercial machine I have ever owned (12-13) and never had a problem getting warranty work done....

anyway I brought the RPMs up to 3600, this morning and found the machine to be quite a bit more responsive and overall quicker....

9. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

My dealer has a 19/48 for $6700 and that's a steal. I wrote a review also and was very impressed. The thing I disliked the most was the lack of traction while in the WB mode. It needs some weight and wouldn't pull too well until I started standing on it again. It is much better in riding mode but a good compromise overall.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

How ?? I dodn't know any dealer or manufacturer that will disocunt for that !!