Lawn Care Forum banner

Toro Grandstand

15K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Blazerfb 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my Toro Timecutter with a Grandstand. I would like to have some reviews on the Grandstand. The main thing is how it handles on hills. If some people would please give me a review on how you like yours that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any pictures of the cut and/or your Grandstand that would be great too. Thanks!

#4 ·
I have a vantage which is the same machine minus the deck. All i can say is get the biggest motor you can for the model you want. The hill stability is ok at best. Be careful going up because the front end likes to pick up, and the side to side mowing you just have to go slow otherwise you will slide. The one thing that I do love about the machine is how it will just float over soft ground or water. It really amazed me this spring due to us(ohio) having rain just about everyday and making lawns lakes!

oh and make sure you spend time getting the controls right they are a bit touchy. I hope this helps!

#5 ·
On steep hills can you step off the platform and run the grandstand like a walkbehind?
Posted via Mobile Device
No. You are way better off standing on the machine the whole time. If something freaky happens, just jump off.

#8 ·
For everyone who answered thanks for your help! More would be appreciated!! Pictures would be nice also.

#9 ·
they are superior on hills if you know how to operate a stand on mower. i have experience with most of them. used standers for many years, the GS is way better hands down on comfort, hills and cut.

i never get pics, but a couple of guys on here have seen and contest to the hills i mow with them and treat with zsprays. that however requires much more skill to do

#10 ·
I bought a GS after doing some research on both the Wright and the GS. Both should be quality units, but I heard cut quality is much better on the GS. I have been pretty happy with mine.

As far as hill stability, it seems great. Gets great traction for the most part, although most of the time I stay on mine because it seems to do better with some weight over the tires. In walk behind mode, it just doesn't seem to grab and wants to slide a bit more.

Also about the front coming up, I've never had any issue with that unless I accidentally pop a wheelie while trying to cruise on a crap yard with some rain coming. I'm 6 ft 225 lbs so I'm not exactly a featherweight. If you are 300 lbs, you're probably wanting to sit down on your ztr anyway:laugh: so maybe check out something else.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with my GS. One last note, I was surprised by how much better it runs once I got past the break in period. 50-60 hrs. Cuts better too.

#12 ·
I replaced an Exmark 48 TTHp WB with a 48 Grandstand. Best move I have ever made. It spins out less than the WB and is easier to use on hills and ditches as long as you stay on the machine. The more I use it, the better I get on hills. The only time I use the WB feature of the Grandstand is around low hanging limbs. There is no reason to get off the platform for anything else.

#13 ·
Overall a great mower.
Pros:
1. Alot faster than a WB
2. Leaves a great finished product
3. Alot less tiring to operate
4. Does not take up alot of space on the trailer or in the garage.

Cons:
1. In my region it cannot be used on some hills that you could mow with a WB
2. A little difficult to work on as opposed to my WB
3. The machine will tear up some grass on real thin lawns
4. Grass build up underneath the deck

Overall the GS has been a very wise purshase. The comfort and ease of operation will save you alot of energy over a long day of mowing. There is a learning curve to this mower, but once you get the hang of it you will love it. Mine has the speed control which I used until I mastered it. I have recieved many compliments from customers on how nice the GS cuts. I will try to get some pictures up sometime on some yards that I mow with it.

#14 ·
How will a GS compare to a Z master on hills (up/down and side to side)? I am thinking about adding a 36" GS this fall.

#15 ·
I'm very pleased with mine, it was my first stander so it took some getting used to, but that was to be expected. Lots of compliments from my customers, I agree it will chew up a thin yard but I think most any mower would! that's not a mower issue as much as a turf issue. My next purchase will be with a 60" deck!

#16 ·
Thanks for all your replies! Yesterday I bought an Exmark Vantage instead of a Toro Grandstand.

#17 ·
I had a great dane when they first came out. The mower cut like a walk behind but you could ride on it. A walk behind and a great dane were the same price in 1996 so I bought one. The best thing about it was that you could step off. Several times I lost traction and down I would go down the hill, sometimes I would stay on to steer it down a hill and sometimes I would step off. I did flip over the dane once and when that happens you are forced off the platform by the ground. So I ended up standing there while my dane flipped over in front of me, but I was perfectly fine. The reason how this happened was I was coming out of some woods and there was a bank that wasn't to steep so I went up it and hit a rock that was under a bunch of leaves with one of my front wheels, that shot my mower in the air. Also I found it was hard on my knees hitting bumps over extending the knee and then coming down, I still feel it today. I know mowers have come along way since 1996. Good luck

#18 ·
Overall a great mower.
Pros:
1. Alot faster than a WB
2. Leaves a great finished product
3. Alot less tiring to operate
4. Does not take up alot of space on the trailer or in the garage.

Cons:
1. In my region it cannot be used on some hills that you could mow with a WB
2. A little difficult to work on as opposed to my WB
3. The machine will tear up some grass on real thin lawns
4. Grass build up underneath the deck

Overall the GS has been a very wise purshase. The comfort and ease of operation will save you alot of energy over a long day of mowing. There is a learning curve to this mower, but once you get the hang of it you will love it. Mine has the speed control which I used until I mastered it. I have recieved many compliments from customers on how nice the GS cuts. I will try to get some pictures up sometime on some yards that I mow with it.
interesting about buildup on the deck, as i have dthe opposite experience. nothing ever builds up....ever. how cool is that:weightlifter:

#19 ·
How will a GS compare to a Z master on hills (up/down and side to side)? I am thinking about adding a 36" GS this fall.
they hold hills better, but i dunno about the 36 being better, we have one but i have never done a hill with it. 36in machines are not known to be great on hills

#22 ·
I have a GS 60'' and the only build up i get is around the little baffle by the discharge and its very very little i can pinch it out w/ my fingers, I've cut right after rain several times too, also leaves a beautiful cut too!! the adjustable baffle works good when cutting real tall stuff. i usually keep on the A setting for best suction..

#24 ·
I have a 48" model and it performs better on hilly terrain for me, most of the time, than my turf tracer hp. I am ab 265lbs though. My smaller riders have a much harder time w it on hills than I do. Having alot of weigh on the riding platform transfers into weight over the wheels.

So... Depending on the weight of the operator, this mower can be an advantage or disadvantage on hills.

In every other circumstance though (other than weight on the turf) I prefer the GS. Superb cutting and speed combo. Much more power to the deck than the wbs ive used, though I've never had bigger than a 16 hp on my wbs. Would be interesting to compare w larger motored wb's.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Been raining the last three days and needed to get some weekly accounts done, so I decided to go out today in the rain and cut three flat lawns that don't puddle. Wet as can be with some periodic downpours the deck on my Grandstand 24/52 stayed nice and clean and the cut was great in the rain.

Also a neighbor saw me mowing and came over and asked if I had time to do theirs today, sure! Halfway through the the husband came home and said I do a really nice job and his neighbors yard (the one I was doing before his and took over this year, He knew I was new for his neighbor this year) has never looked so good and asked if I could just start doing his every week also. :)

#26 ·
Been raining the last three days and needed to get some weekly accounts done, so I decided to go out today in the rain and cut three flat lawns that don't puddle. Wet as can be with some periodic downpours the deck on my Grandstand 24/52 stayed nice and clean and the cut was great in the rain.

Also a neighbor saw me mowing and came over and asked if I had time to do theirs today, sure! Halfway through the the husband came home and said I do a really nice job and his neighbors yard (the one I was doing before his and took over this year, He knew I was new for his neighbor this year) has never looked so good and asked if I could just start doing his every week also. :)
cut two Lowes stores today in swamped conditions. Pretty clean and mowing 4-6" of grass off. Love this machine due to the fact it gobbles up anything, mulch kit or discharge.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.