Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved into a new (older) home. The irrigation system valves are set in a manifold styple. This are old toro jarhead with quick connect solenoid connectorbuildt into the top of the solenoid. The common relays from connection to connection in a string. I believe I have a short in one and will replace the common wire from solenoid to solenoid. how do therse quick connects work? anyone know?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
They are a simple built in wire splice. Push in the bare copper and it "grabs" the wire within the connector. That is the Toro "flo-pro" we all know and love here. Best of luck to you. If you have to buy a new solenoid, do yourself a favor and dig a little and put in a brand spanking new valve. Any flavor will be an improvement. <at this point I would get sarcastic, but I'm afraid it might be taken seriously>

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Toro had free replacement solenoids available for those way back when. The problem was that the little copper wire holders would snap if used more than once or twice. The replacements were regular solenoids with leads....

BTW those are jartops, not jarheads... There were El Toro Jarheads though...

·
Banned
3,159 Posts
That TORO solenoid may be among worst irrigation ideas ever. How that got through the company vetting system says a lot about TORO.
I tried some back at the time of the 1st Gulf War. Contractor walks over, looks in valve pit, comments "I just came back from defusing a bunch of stuff that looked just like that."

The manifold itself lasted nearly a year, two solenoids went bad, ripped the whole thing out and put in DV's - never heard from customer about valves again.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I guess I'm just swimming against the current, but I like my Flo-Pro valves, and they've lasted longer for me than any Toro 300s. So there.

:p

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Six Flo-Pro A/S valves. One batch of replacement solenoids, one of replacement diaphragms with a higher lip/flange... they run three times a week during the growing season and have for 14 years and no leaks or other issues...

I fact I was hoping Irrigation Direct would get with it and start making their version... :)

No herbage here.... lots of fiber though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.