Toro mini skid borer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Outlawn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used the Toro horizontal boring attachment for a mini skid? We have a diesel Boxer but the boss keeps talking about selling it and buying a new Toro mini skid. I saw that they have this attachment for it and was wondering how well it works. We have to sub out to get boring done if we can’t use our water borer, but even the water borer makes a nasty, muddy mess. It would be nice if we could do it cleaner and I thought this may fit the bill but wanted some real-world feedback.
    https://www.toro.com/en/professiona...ility-attachments/dingo-bore-drive-head-22420

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

If you buy a new machine look at Ditchwitch. It’s a much better machine than toro.

The toro boring unit will fit all mini skids.

Outlawn likes this.
  3. properlandscaping

properlandscaping LawnSite Member

If you end up buying a used machine, make certain it is a diesel. My gas dingo struggled with the boring attachment. The diesel (525) didn't even break a sweat. Big difference between the two machines. As for the boring attachment, it works great. Very similar to the Vermeer RT200 units but the dingo diesel labors a lot less compared to the gas (27 hp kohler) RT200.

Outlawn likes this.
  4. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

I have a boring unit too. I found a used one cheap when I had a job where we were told we need to bore under about 20 sidewalks, and didn’t want to sub the work out to my competition. Well, on the second bore, we discovered a sleeve; the GC didn’t realize the concrete sub had in fact put sleeves in everywhere we needed to go lol.
    I use our unit roughly once a month to bore under a sidewalk or something. It is great for short runs, but I would never attempt anything wider than a two car driveway. There is some learning curve involved with keeping the boring head level, or else you will start the hole at 16” inches depth and come out the other side closer to 2.5’ deep!
    As a previous poster mentioned, our newer diesel machine has no problem powering the head, where as my old worn out gas Dingo had to run with a lot more throttle.

properlandscaping and Outlawn like this.