Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. one of my negibors just gave me their toro personal pace 22in mower. it is 2months old but when i got the the drive wheels don't work. so i took it apart and found the gears on the wheels are stripted and the gear on the back axel is striped. so for under 50 bucks i have a like new toro personal pace. but my question will i get alot more problems out of this mower or should it work fine after i replace the gears?
thanks alex
don't mind the spelling

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Mowerboy04 said:
hey guys. one of my negibors just gave me their toro personal pace 22in mower. it is 2months old but when i got the the drive wheels don't work. so i took it apart and found the gears on the wheels are stripted and the gear on the back axel is striped. so for under 50 bucks i have a like new toro personal pace. but my question will i get alot more problems out of this mower or should it work fine after i replace the gears?
thanks alex
don't mind the spelling
the gears are only about 2 bucks apiece. we only use it on 1 large cemetary we do but it seems to do a good job. you can practically run with the thing. make sure you discharge, the mulch sucks on that thing. (clogs up too much).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Have had mine for a couple months, I made the mistake of buying a big wheel Toro from HD when I started...6 months ago, then a local LCO let me try his PP, I went and bought one that day....I need to dump the big wheel and get another PP, its paid for itself...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My PP is about what I expected from a homeowner type machine....just don't hold under commercial use. And from reading your first post...it don't hold up to homeowner use either. IMO............................... :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am a homeowner and cut 1 acre with it about every 5 days. Had the gears go bad within first year fixed under warrenty, 1 traction cable I fixed, its now 4 years old. It never took more than 2 pulls to start but recently it may take 10. I cleaned the carb, looked fine, checked float, I think the prime bulb may not be giving it gas anyone have similar problem with starting and how to fix it ?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
lqmustang said:
I bought one, and after using it on a couple of my gated lawns took it straight back. While I thought to peronal pace system was nice, the cut totally sucked.
i think it has an awesome cut, if you discharge. the mulch blade minces the grass up too much and it clogs it if you try to mulch.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use it as a backup to my prolines on mostly St. Aug. lawns here in Tx. Cut is awesome, and I ONLY mulch. Not sure what everyone else is complaining about regarding cut.

I'm curious why after such a short time you had those problems though. I've been running mine 2 years resi and a few months commercial with no problems at all. Great mowing height, in fact I wish they made the prolines to go that high.

Nothing but great things to say here, but like everything else I guess it depends who you talk to. I'd still buy it over the honda's anyday. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've run the PP for 2 years on my own yard and I mulch with it. I have the best looking lawn on the street (as I should.) Here in Florida I mow year round, so it gets a decent workout, not commercial use but weekly in the summer and bi-weekly thru the winter. After 2 years it still starts on the first pull and other than regular oil changes and blade sharpening, it's taken no money from me.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I think they're a good mower, too. One thing........if you get one save yourself some time and NEVER put anything but the Toro "Atomic" blade on there as a replacement. That's the original one it comes with. The "generic 22 in. blades" are a joke. Creates wobble & the lift stinks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if you hold the left wheel there is no slipping until a certain point, as it is meant to do that...hold the right wheel, and it slips...the gears look fine though...where else should I look? The gears inside the bolted housing look good also...what is slipping on the right wheel to make it give way!!!!?????

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
one my family members has one for their yard, the gears stripped as well and we were told by the dealer this is a common problem but other than that it appears to be a fine machine.

far as using it commercially, that i dunno...

·
Registered
61 Posts
lawnwizards said:
the gears are only about 2 bucks apiece. we only use it on 1 large cemetary we do but it seems to do a good job. you can practically run with the thing. make sure you discharge, the mulch sucks on that thing. (clogs up too much).
I had been thinking about buying a PP but didn't because of all the complaints I read about the gears stripping. Are the gears fairly easy to replace yourself? If they are only a few bucks, I might consider buying a PP and just replacing the gears whenever they go bad. What do you think?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used to have one of these.....sold it to my neighbor who moved in because I quit using it because there was no need. I don't use 21-22" mowers.

Anyway, the unit cuts great, bags great, drives great, but mulches poorly. If you try and discharge thick turf (fescue) it will clump and bog down.

Actually, I don't think any mower can mulch my lawn even when I'm only taking 1-2" off the top. THe grass is just too thick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.