1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

toro personal pace any good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys. one of my negibors just gave me their toro personal pace 22in mower. it is 2months old but when i got the the drive wheels don't work. so i took it apart and found the gears on the wheels are stripted and the gear on the back axel is striped. so for under 50 bucks i have a like new toro personal pace. but my question will i get alot more problems out of this mower or should it work fine after i replace the gears?
    thanks alex
    don't mind the spelling

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

the gears are only about 2 bucks apiece. we only use it on 1 large cemetary we do but it seems to do a good job. you can practically run with the thing. make sure you discharge, the mulch sucks on that thing. (clogs up too much).

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have had mine for a couple months, I made the mistake of buying a big wheel Toro from HD when I started...6 months ago, then a local LCO let me try his PP, I went and bought one that day....I need to dump the big wheel and get another PP, its paid for itself...

4. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have had one for years, since before i bought my walkbehind. i love it and it still starts first pull.

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My PP is about what I expected from a homeowner type machine....just don't hold under commercial use. And from reading your first post...it don't hold up to homeowner use either. IMO............................... :D

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

It lasted about 3 months for us. It is now junk. Ran the wheels off of it twice.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a Toro personal pace for about five or six years now, put a traction cable on it, but thats the only drive related problem it ever had. Great machene IMO.

8. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bought one in a pinch this season, it is a pretty good machine for a backup. It is no match for the proline though. I can see having problems with the wheels in the future.

9. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am a homeowner and cut 1 acre with it about every 5 days. Had the gears go bad within first year fixed under warrenty, 1 traction cable I fixed, its now 4 years old. It never took more than 2 pulls to start but recently it may take 10. I cleaned the carb, looked fine, checked float, I think the prime bulb may not be giving it gas anyone have similar problem with starting and how to fix it ?

10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one, and after using it on a couple of my gated lawns took it straight back. While I thought to peronal pace system was nice, the cut totally sucked.