Toro proline 32"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Blake Roberts, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

1. Blake Roberts

Blake Roberts LawnSite Member

I have a toro walkbehind mower (30102) i picked up for $150 wasnt running, threw a 12hp briggs (on it for $100), new tires, replaced the carb, muffler, wiring, battery, oil and its running now. Iv never used a mower as such before and decided to mowed with it on friday and was in the back yard of a clients house and it is very uneven. Needless to say i scalped twice both of which were so severe it killed the engine both times. The third time to engage the blades it was very unbalanced so i shut it down to find the blade completely deformed from the two hits it took.

So i replaced the blade and inspected the deck for further damage and i see none, during the process tho i noticed that the deck didnt seem very reinforced and looked as if it was missing a bar that would connect the deck together under the side discharge. Also is there anything i can do to keep it from scalping further like scalp wheels, bar, ect...

Please let me know if this is normal and if not is there any way i could weld a peice of steel down there to keep it from being so "flimsy" or do I just need to get rid of it and move on to somthing else? Iv put alot of work into this mower and just want to know if its worth it to keep going forward with it. Any advise is greatly appreciated

IMG_20180123_163938.jpg

IMG_20180211_130249.jpg

IMG_20180211_124828.jpg

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Looking at the second pic, I think you are missing something :rolleyes:

What I would do is get some 3/8 or 1/2 rebar and weld it in there to bridge the gap. You might want to do some reinforcement on the opposite side where it runs up along walls and trees, etc.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. Blake Roberts

Thats what i was thinking as well. Thank you for confirming it for me. Should i weld to inside or outside, for both the discharge and the opposite side? And grass shoots out pretty quick im wondering if who i bought it off of cut that out due to clogging or what... I guess we will see. Ill post my update once i get to it.

4. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Weld it on the out side, on the lip on the deck. Get yourself a full piece (8 or 10 ft) Clamp it to one side, about a foot in, bent it around to the other side, clamp it, make sure the blade will not hit it. 3/8th bends easier then 1/2 inch. Weld it in place and cut off what you don't need. With what is left, do the other side. Cut to fit as needed....

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you need to have the chute opening reinforced. The rim around the bottom of the deck needs to be one solid connection. The opposite side needs a little welding also.

I used to have one years ago when I was mowing lawns...provided a very nice stripe when properly setup

6. Blake Roberts

Thank you all for the quick responses, will do the rebar and report back here once its finished. Am also having a problem with the left wheel it keeps leaking air on the ourside of the rim once the weather is below 35. Would bead sealant work or do i need a new rim (cost about as much as the whole mower did)

7. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Try fix-a-flat. Also gemplers.com is a good site for stuff. They sell a sealant product for tires that you can look into as well

Breezmeister likes this.
  8. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Bead sealer, grease, silicon, all will work, but you need to clean the rim first. I use a wire wheel on a angle grinder, alittle break clean and a rag. Just enough to get rid of the crud.....

9. Blake Roberts

Alrighty, ill go an get a can or two of the fixaflat see if that clears it up. I messed around alittle trying to get the rebar to bend with the shape of the deck today. This is what i came up with. Im not able to make it one single piece so i got to two main areas bent out and held up to it and it really helped alot on the flimsyness with just the cresent wrenches holding them on there, wouldent budge hardley. So tomorrow ill clean those areas up and get them mounted on there and should do just fine i beleive... IMG_20180213_162046.jpg IMG_20180213_162205.jpg IMG_20180213_162222.jpg

Amserna and Breezmeister like this.
  10. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Looks great Thumbs Up