1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Proline 52

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by homemwr, May 1, 2001.

1. homemwr

homemwr LawnSite Member
    from MN

Just purchased a used (I believe 1989) Toro Proline 52" floating deck. It has the 12.5" Kawasaki traction unit. I will use it to mow 1.25 acres with lots of oak trees. I just tried it yesterday, and it didn't appear that much faster than my old tractor. Though I didn't mow the area with all of the trees. How fast should I be able to mow this yard (~40 oaks and some other misc. trees.) The lot is outlined with ~100 pines so the mowing area is smaller still. With all the shade, my grass in MN is not that thick. Will this mower be able to pull a sulky? What are the maintenance do's and dont's with this unit. I would like to pull a sweeper to pick up both acorns (last year over 500 gallons) and mulched leaves (after mowing in circles and chopping.) I was thinking about a rectangular shaped structure that I could walk inside and mount a wheel that swivels at the back where the sweeper could tow from. Any better ideas - other than a used Trac-Vac? What works best on acorns or can I just leave them?

What set-up of double blades would work best for leaves? It did come with a handmade mulch plate, but no deck baffles.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Jeff

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 44 Toro w 14hp Vanguard, I tried a 470 Trac vac.had
    no problem with a trailing sulky. for mulching try some of
    toros Recycling parts, Check the tension of the belt from
    engine to trans. Some times I had to tow the trailer to pick up things.