Toro Reel Master 6700D

Mike_6869

LawnSite Member
Looking for advice on this equipment that’s come up for sale locally. I’ve never owned a reel mower or this type of fairway mower. I have a very large property (9.5 acres) that I cut at 2.5-3 inches all season and eats up the entire day running a 60” zero turn.
Would this machine be practical to use for this job? It is not a manicured perfect golf course, it is common turf with hills and valleys and decent bumps.
This machine came up for a very reasonable price so I want to give it some good consideration but if it’s not going to work for this job it’s not worth it for me.

thanks in advance!!

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Is this a former golf course mower?

Most reel mowers are made to cut at low heights 1” or lower. I’d guess reels on rough areas would constantly be damaged

I’d imagine it wouldn’t be cost feasible to convert to rotary decks unless you ran across some freebies

Know this person, he started mowing his property with an 8’ finish mower. Now he uses a 60” zero turn

Jace71

LawnSite Member
I’m a mechanic at a golf course. These mowers are designed to mow .5” to 1” tall. We are constantly checking and adjusting heights and reel/bed knife contact. They are designed to mow fairways that have no rocks, roots, etc. It would cost a lot of money, and I’m not even sure it’s possible, to convert to rotary decks. We charge at least $100 to grind the reels, so you’re talking $700 to sharpen all the reels. At 9 acres, you’d be grinding them at least twice a year. You’d be better off with a Toro 4500d or 4700d, which are rotary mowers with 5 and 7 articulating decks.

Last edited:

CorgiTurf

LawnSite Senior Member
More info . What’s the cutting width? How many cutting units.

What are the condition of the reels? Rollers?

You can spend 2500$ in rollers alone if they are all shot. That’s not even with sharpening the reels if they are in decent shape.

Maintenance is much more involved than a rotary. Do you plan on keeping mowing at 2-3 inches? Usually reels are set at about 1.5 or less

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Senior Member
You should look at a commercial wide area mower if your mowing that much and want to cut the time down....

Or a second Z if you have someone to run it.;)

OP
Mike_6869

Mike_6869

LawnSite Member
*update*
I had the same maintenance conversation with my local shop bottom line it’s a lot (special tools, expensive, and tuning the machine to balance ground speed and wheel speed) honestly it’s only practical for golf courses with a team of guys dedicated to one piece Of property.

again only wanted to give this 10’ cutter some good consideration because it is posted for such a steal. But it seems like the seller has come to the same conclusion as us not practical for my application. I’ll continue to save money, having a second Z with another man would be nice hard to find good people right now.

I appreciate the help weighing this one out! The upside is I’m still getting good money for this bear of a property, and a pretty decent tan spending all day in that field ;)