1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Toro rider or not?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, May 16, 2008.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I had a Toro push mower that broke down (the transmission ate itself). I borrowed my neighbors rider (craftsman) and now I don't think I can go back. I only have about 1/3 of an acre but the rider will cut my time in half. I don't want to buy junk but at the same time for my small area I don't want to spend a ton.

With that said, are Toro riders any good? I can't find a review for them. They seem to be a little cheaper when compared to Deere, Cub, or Craftsman. I would be happy with a 42 inch rider. I can ask the Toro dealer but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of comparing brands. Big Box stores are useless

2. lawnmon

lawnmon LawnSite Member

I would advise looking at a Simplicity Regent in a 38" or 44" cut. They feature a deck with full width rear rollers that give an excellent cut.

The Snapper LT200 series is the same as a Regent but with a deck without the full width rollers. They are available in 38", 42" and 44" deck.

These mowers feature guts and not glitter. Expect to pay $1900 - $2600 depending on exact model.

Good luck,

Jack

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a decent mower from anyone, figure at least $1700-$2000 minimum.