Lawn Care Forum banner

Toro SS5425 help

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  V65racer 
#1 ·
New here. Used to do professional landscaping in NY, many moons ago.
I bought a Toro SS 5425 late this year, does a pretty good job, but just broke a belt. Has anyone found an aftermarket crossover that fits? Only place I have found a belt so far is the dealer, and they want 70 bucks for the thing. Historically I replace 3 or 4 belts a year, so that's a chunk of change. Factory part number is 130-0843, and no-one locally can cross that number, and the dealer isn't much help, they just, obviously, want me to buy the factory belt.
I own about a 5 1/2 acre lot, and the mower has saved me a lot of time in the few times I've used it, but, it's hilly and rocky with lots of exposed tree roots, so blades and belts are going to be frequent replacement parts.
Looking to add a 36" walk behind to the arsenal next year, basically for a few really steep slopes I have and for areas the 54" ZT won't fit. Probably going to get the front tires foam filled, expensive, but so far I've had several flats due to thorns. I'm slowly getting ahead of those, combination of cutting, chemicals, burning and pulling.
Pretty good with my hands, just brought a billy goat leaf vac back from the dead by installing a used engine I got cheap, I'm loving that thing. Just finished rebuilding my two weed eaters, and am waiting for a carb for my backup Ryobi blower. Most of this equipment has languished for years in storage, due to me living in rental properties, but, now I'm a homeowner again, time to brush up on some old skills.
Currently clearing out over growth in the trees in the front yard, my big echo chainsaw is definitely earning it's keep.
Thanks if anyone can help

See less See more
#3 ·
Been trying that, but no-one locally carries a belt that long, it was a clean break, so I was able to measure it, it's 12ft!! To complicate it, it's a 3/8 belt, but, looking at the pulley's I believe a 5/8 will fit just fine. I never understood why some manufacturers used a single belt, when a separate drive and deck belt makes servicing so much more simple.

#4 ·
Well, it's a standard belt..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-TimeCutter-SS-and-SW-54-in-Deck-Belt-130-0843/205806875

Then we look at the specs and come up with .34" depth and 145" length
Cross to the handy chart here:

Do some maths because we have to stick with a ancient system and 9mm becomes .35" or close enough to the belt above,
So, you need an "A" belt, 145" long.

www.vbelts4less.com has 144 and 146" belts, which your mower should allow for adjustment.
http://www.vbelts4less.com/A142--A-Section-V-Belt_p_12853.html

#5 ·
Well, it's a standard belt..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-TimeCutter-SS-and-SW-54-in-Deck-Belt-130-0843/205806875

Then we look at the specs and come up with .34" depth and 145" length
Cross to the handy chart here:

Do some maths because we have to stick with a ancient system and 9mm becomes .35" or close enough to the belt above,
So, you need an "A" belt, 145" long.

www.vbelts4less.com has 144 and 146" belts, which your mower should allow for adjustment.
http://www.vbelts4less.com/A142--A-Section-V-Belt_p_12853.html
Thank you kindly. At those prices I may just order up a couple. Book marked for future reference, I can use this site for work also. I was able to find a 146 belt at a local place, but can't get there today, such is life.

#6 ·
Thanks again, armed with that info I was able to find a 144" belt (A144) that got me running, and I've ordered 2 spares from the website for 26 bucks or so delivered. Yes, the 144 fit perfectly. I actually had the missus run down to our local hydraulic place, the guy I spoke to wasn't there, he said they didn't have one in the correct width, but did in the length, albeit a bit wider. He wasn't there when the wife got there, but the guy who helped her matched it perfectly. While I love to buy local, one for 20, or two for 26?.....kind of a no brainer....
Next step, new blades for the spring,(any good sites?) Toying with the idea of double blading. The old ones will hold me over the winter. Then I'm adding some lights, and a rack over the engine to carry my chainsaw, extra fuel, clippers etc. I hate having to run back and forth to the garage for something, especially when I'm down in the bottom 40..... Got a few holes to fill after the last hurricane, The creek overflowed, more than I've ever seen it, I actually owned lake front property for a few days. No danger to the house, I figure the creek rose by about 12 feet, another 30 or so would put it at my front porch. Upside, the flooding really keeps the front yard well fertilized. Downside, means more mowing......
Luckily, I work for a rental company, heavy equipment is never more than a trailer away... Planning on getting the tractor to fill the holes, then landscape rake the whole front yard, edge in and mulch the trees, and practice striping(gonna build my own striping rig for the mower) Obviously, this will happen in the late spring, after the rains, so all my hard work doesn't get washed away. Got a ton of stuff I need to get done this year. Somewhere in there I will make time to play on my motorcycle, and in my jeep.......LOL

#9 ·
Using the 144 belts. I may get the kevlar reinforced ones on the next go around, I'm on belt number 3 already this year. But, in the belts defense, I'm teaching my 13 year old how to mow, and she hasn't figured out not to drive over fallen branches yet. I have to reweld one of the inserts under the deck after last weekend. I think that's what tore the belt up. The weld broke, the deflector jammed the blade and just burnt up the belt. I figured it out after I replaced the belt and engaged the blades.....nasty sounds. Gonna build a rubber deflector chute also, tired of breaking the plastic ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.