1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Toro "T" bar adjustment questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Jun 18, 2004.

1. We just got a 36" Toro WB T bar belt drive with a fixed deck.
    It has a long range of adjustment for the belt drive/brake band control rod.

We use it to mow ditches and other difficult areas. So I need to use the wheel brakes on one wheel while engaging the drive belt on the other wheel. Sometimes I pull the machine backwards, so I wouldn't want the brakes to drag while in neutral.

What's a good way to adjust the T bar?

So it comes really near the front bar and just grip them both together until I need to brake one wheel?
    Or should it be backed off so I can wrap my hand around just the T bar without hitting the front bar with my knuckles?

Or have I simply bought the wrong mower for this kind of work?

Dave

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to adjust the threaded rods going to the T-bar, their is one on each side. You don't want it to go all the way to the front bar, you want to have around 2in. between the t-bar and front bar. I hope this helped, it you have any more questions feel free to ask.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If your cutting ditches & Difficult Areas you've bought the wrong Mower....Toro 36" Hydro w/Pistols would be the Right Mower....

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I've always adjusted the brakes first I will adjust it until there is enough tension when setting the parking brake. Then I adjust the drive threaded rod until there is about 1"-2" of space between the T-Bar and the handle while pushing forward on the T-bar. It's kind of hard to explain in writing, you almost have to trial and error until you get it right.

5. Thanks for the responses. I was at a loss to know where to even begin adjusting the T bar.
    At first it was way too close to the front bar and was pinching my hands. Then I adjusted it too far the other way and it was too far of a stretch for my hands to be comfortable.
    I'll get it in the 2-3" range and refine the adjustments from there.

I thought the pistol grips responded better. I was just thinking all those years spent with pistol grips made them feel more natural. The T bar works better for me everday I practice with it.
    Who knows I may even get good with it.:rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Dave