Votes: 54 88.5%
  • I dont like it

Votes: 7 11.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I used to have a 52" Pro-Line.

The best thing about the T-Bar is that it stays in "Neutral" until you push th ebar forward.

If it had only been balanced as well as the Exmark I have now, that is better traction and braking...it would have been perfect.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I realize you asked about the TBar belt drive but just thought I'd give my 2 cents about the TBar in general. I've used it on a 20HP Kohler 52" Hydrowalk for the past 2.5 yrs and love the thing! Very natural to use and it does have better clearance around objects than the pistol grips. It is a little touchy and you can scorch some turf when turning until you get used to it. Doesn't take long though. When I compared it to one of my friends belt drives (all that he uses, and likes) it was a bit more sensitive but I have instant reverse. Got to take the good w/ the bad I guess.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I borrowed one once. I didn't like it. I had a hard time using it on hills and the belt that drove the blades kept comming off. This required a wrench to pull the deck cover off. Some kind of quick release or clips would hav been better. No hour meter had me wondering , how do you know when to service the machine. Exhaust blew straight down on the lawn. Leave it in one spot and you have a brown area next week.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by Live4Mowin'
For anyone that has had experience with a toro t-bar belt drive, how do you like them? Is it easy to manuver with the t-bar?
12 years experience on 5 different units. I wouldn't use anything else on a belt drive, and it'd be hard to get me to switch to a hydro even. Very easy to use.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
Originally posted by bob
I borrowed one once. I didn't like it. I had a hard time using it on hills and the belt that drove the blades kept comming off. This required a wrench to pull the deck cover off. Some kind of quick release or clips would hav been better. No hour meter had me wondering , how do you know when to service the machine. Exhaust blew straight down on the lawn. Leave it in one spot and you have a brown area next week.
Most of your comments have to do more with a specific mower than T bar steering,which is what I think he wanted to know about. I can one-hand it on hills, so "borrowing" one for a day or so is not the same as learning over time how to use one. I'd have a hard time on hills too with pistol grips, since I'm not used to them.

I would say the vast majority of belt drives don't have an hour meter. You can add one yourself for about $40. I think it's called a tiny tach.

I'm not sure which model you were using, but none of my 5 toros has ever blown exhaust down onto grass causing damage. But the addition of a cheap section of appropriately sized and curved pipe would solve that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
T-bar was the first controls I ever learned to use on self propelled mower. It was an older toro with a t-bar. It did take an hour or so to get the hang of but it worked fine for me. I think it might have been the first set of controls Ed learned in the business too. Either that or the joystick (I am excluding push mowing and steering wheels).

Todd

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The only real problem with the t bar is because the width is so short, you can't pull back on the one side and manually zero turn it like you can with a pistol grip belt drive. It's not that it's impossible to do, but after just one lawn of pulling it your arms are shot. However, on a larger 52" machine you can fake a zero turn because the large deck has enough overlay to let you make a tight turn and not have to pull the one side back to line up for the next pass..........
DP

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
Originally posted by strayer1
t-bar= easy and cheapest to maintain.only problem i have is in wet grass drive belts seem too slip....
If the drive belts are tight and this is still happening, then you need to tighten the engine to tranny belt under the engine frame. Its a really simple adjustment that some dont know to do. Ive never had problems with mowing in the rain on my tbar belt.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
If the drive belts are tight and this is still happening, then you need to tighten the engine to tranny belt under the engine frame. Its a really simple adjustment that some dont know to do. Ive never had problems with mowing in the rain on my tbar belt.
You just haven't had old belts and pulleys. They will slip.......
DP

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
Hello, I am Not a Fan of T-Bar's on Hydro Walks. They are Sloppy compared to pistols or ECS, however, T-Bars are Great on Belt Drives.

Let me say this though, I didn't realize how Bad T-Bars were on the hydros until I got my first ECS unit....until then I was satisfied w/the performance. Now all my Poor Toro's have gone to sale.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Wood Rim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.