Toro tbar users, I have a question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Justin Becker, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Well, that mower a classic, first pistol grip Toro made.

2. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

not even close.

toro still makes the t bar belt drive. And it beats any pistol grip when it comes to belt drive wb.

In the OP's video it's obvious he's still adjusting to the learning curve. You need to keep that left hand on the bar and hold onto it while you make your turn and push with the other hand. You can dang near do a 0 turn if you know what you're doing. Setup prior to the turn is also important.

MILLC and TPendagast like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

This is true
    IMO the tbar is preferable to the hydro (in most cases)
    They work even better once they’ve “broken in” and are loosened up

MILLC likes this.
  4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

T belts are great but no where near as good as a hydro on our stuff.

5. OP
    OP
    Justin Becker

Justin Becker LawnSite Member

Small update. Picked up my mower today and the tech could replicate what it was doing but didn’t know what was causing it. They talked to toro and they wanted a few more hours on the machine and then want to look at it again. At least it’s under warranty for 2 more years. They greased some points and it seems a bit better.

hort101 and Bumpmaster like this.
  6. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

You might consider a new dealer. If it's catching on something it won't take long or much to figure that out. they're simple machines.

7. OP
    OP
    Justin Becker

They said there were no run spots or anything they could see. I am in rural Iowa and new dealer is not in the equation. They are a good dealer. So I
    Am not faulting them.

8. MILLC

MILLC LawnSite Member

the “free -play” is crucial IMO. This really allows for the finesse these machines are capable of. 2 perimeter passes (3 if you are rocking a bagger) and you should have plenty of space to loop your turn. Turn out (opposite to your next desired pass) and while never letting up total pressure on the inside make your looping turn. I practiced in a lot for awhile once I had someone explain it to me.

9. OP
    OP
    Justin Becker

I had a customer come out the other day and said you must be getting use to your new machine. You seem a lot more comfortable with it and we’re a lot quicker. I am so happy with it but I hate that learning curve. It still catches a bit but I am just going to run it

10. MILLC

MILLC LawnSite Member

I’d be curious as to what the catch ends up being. Does it feel like a “lock up” on the bars? I once over adjusted my positioning wing after a belt change (equal wear on these is also something to consider; I always swap both once one breaks, pop the spare old one on until you finish so you aren’t fighting the bar all day).
    Check for over tightened bolts on the tension wheel brackets as well. These should have “some” play. I’m no pro but I have racked up some hours on my t bar and learned a lot of tricks that weren’t exactly spelled out. Dealers around me basically scoffed at the idea of my belt drive when I would come in for questions.

As for the bagger- I have the toro side discharge bagger from a 44” mounted and have always enjoyed the capacity but durability is lacking. See lots of the cage style around here on WBs but always have been curious about deck dragging once full. If it’s a floating deck it doesn’t take much to tilt it. Also have an olde proline so newer decks probably don’t have this issue