1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Valve Gushes Water Out Top Vent?!?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by whppngby, May 18, 2005.

1. whppngby

whppngby LawnSite Member

I tried testing my irrigation system for the 1st time this season, and the valve gushes water out the top vent and the sprinklers don't pop up.

I thought it may have been a frozen popup, but the ones I looked at seemed to move freely when I pulled them up.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about a anti-siphon valve, or just a regular diaphram valve?

3. whppngby

whppngby LawnSite Member

Anti-siphon, i'm pretty sure. I'm not at home to check right now, but it has the round cap about the diameter of a soda can with a 1/2 " gap underneath where the water shoots out.

4. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Are U talking about the BVP on the incoming water supply ? OR 1 of the sprinkler heads ?

:cool2:

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think the system he has was put in with every solinoid valve being a anti-siphon valve.

I always replace those, and never try to fix them. But perhaps someone who's taken one apart can help him out.

6. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

It sounds like the anti-syphon/reverse flow valve at the main supply. You can get a repair kit or just replace the whole thing. If its not properly drained over the winter it will pop (like a soda can in the freezer). That top part (where the water is shooting out of) might just screw right off.

Simple fix, shouldn't run you more than $40 in parts assuming you didn't blow up any metal parts.

7. whppngby

whppngby LawnSite Member

Problem fixed. I just replaced the whole valve. At least it wasn't a field mouse plugging the pvc underneath my lawn or something!!!

Thx for the pointers all.