• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Toro vs. Exmark - Fixed vs. Floating

triadncman

LawnSite Member
For a few years now I have been hearing people say that the toro and exmark are basically the same design except that the Exmark had a superior deck compared to Toros stamped deck. True, I would have to agree. It now seems that toro is using the same fabricated deck on the Fixed deck proline W/B's as exmark uses on its fixed Metros, Is this true?? If so , is the exmark still gonna make a superior cut compared to the toro? Also is there anyone out there that can make a case for a fixed deck?? I have used nothing but floating decks up until now, but the dealer tells me that fixed decks are pretty popular out there, and if I can still get the job done and save that $1000 I certainly would like to. If im gonna be scalping all my lawns then I dont want it. Almost every lawn i mow has some sort of dip or hill or mound in it.

ztoro

LawnSite Senior Member
if you have mounds, dips and anything more than gentle hills I would keep with the floating decks. as far as I remember the toro fixed decks were always welded similar to the exmarks.. the floating decks where stamped.... unless you are looking at a z-500 series I would stay with the exmark walk behinds... I dont think they offer the t-bar in the hydro units, do they? The ecs controls are very nice, just picked up a 52TTHP. I love it.....

BigEd

LawnSite Senior Member
Originally posted by ztoro
the floating decks where stamped.... .
No. they are welded fabricated decks

and
The T-bar ia available on hydro units

here ya go

lcb_plmid_30297_s_r_lg.jpg

ztoro

LawnSite Senior Member
Originally posted by BigEd
No. they are welded fabricated decks

and
The T-bar ia available on hydro units

here ya go
I thought the t-bar/hydro was only available on the proline classic..... not all models of the proline?

as for the decks is some of it at least stamped? from what I remember the trim side was molded, not all of the deck is welded?

BW4486

LawnSite Member
Toro owns exmark they are the same basic design but the toro's are a little diferent e.i. ( Deck discarge adjustable baffle and better built frame

yz250fpilot

LawnSite Member
I have a 36" (welded) fixed deck Toro that I purchased this year. I got the pistol grip hydro and absolutely love it. I have had no problems with scalping so far and have used it on quite a few properties that had dips, bumps, etc. The 36 has given me no visible scalping as of yet on anything I have mowed. I personally would not waste the extra cash on a floating deck this small. However, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. :)

shorty7616

LawnSite Member
I have a 36" Exmark Metro fixed deck and have been very pleased with it. Very little scalping, if any. Maybe if it were a larger deck I would have gone with a floating

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a scag 48 '' inch fixed deck and im about 90 miles north of you. Knowing how the land lays, I would definately get the floating deck. My scag sits in the building alot more than on the trailer because of scalping