toro vs hustler

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawn_guy_two4, Feb 3, 2018.

1. lawn_guy_two4

lawn_guy_two4 LawnSite Member

Toro Titan HD 1500 60"
    Fastrak SDX 54"
    I'm looking to buy one or the other of these sit downs. I have a business probably cutting 10+acres a week I would like to kno cons and pros for both. besides the size. cost in Canada pretty close within 500. I'd be also buying a powered bagger for it. if you can help or let me know some good and bad on both I'd be much appreciated.

2. IYIbiz

IYIbiz LawnSite Member

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. What did you end up getting?

3. OP
    OP
    lawn_guy_two4

lawn_guy_two4 LawnSite Member

hey i bought a 60in hustler fastrax sd i love it. Im looking at buying another next spring

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Mattmowsgrass

Mattmowsgrass LawnSite Member

I used to run the hustler. Very good machine. The best ztr, I ever used. Next to the higher end hustlers. I used to run a toro also, not sure if it was the one your asking about or not. But it cut really nice. Just in and out the shop.

5. Kohlerpowered

Kohlerpowered LawnSite Member

I don’t know if this helps but I have a ‘06 Hustler Super Z 66” deck w/ a Kohler 28 hp FI motor, here is my observations as an owner.

1. Dealers are not always nearby. Dealers that don’t sell Hustler equipment don’t work on them (at least not near me).
    2. Everything is proprietary parts and (for me) seem to be more expensive.
    3. Frequent breakdowns even though I take maintenance very seriously.
    4. This year with 500 hrs of service time I had to replace all the fuel lines, in tank fuel pick ups, clutch set, fuel diverter, hour meter, seat base, ignition relay, charging components. Close to $2000 dealer charges (including a $65 fuel filter I could get anywhere for less than $10 at any auto parts stores and 5 gals of reg gas for $30)
    All not including the items needed for regular maintenance oil, filter, fuel filter, hydraulic filter, plugs and lube.

6. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

I presume your using it for
    Only your home?

7. Kohlerpowered

Kohlerpowered LawnSite Member

Yes, but . . . . . .
    My place is like 20 commercial accounts. I have an 18 acre property the previous owner was a nut for his kid to become the next Tiger Woods, he made his entire property into a golf course to play 3-4 times a week. I thought it was beautiful like nothing I ever imagined. Now I know why this place sat on the market for 2 years until a dim-wit like me came along. The seller told me it only took him 3 to 7 hrs per week (with his stand on platform 60” Ferris) and he had a guy doing the weed trimmer for another 1.5 hrs.
    It’s taking me 2.5 hrs/day X 4 days each week (with a perfectly planned cutting pattern) and I can’t do the stripes, play with the sand traps and manicure the ponds let alone run the vacuum pick up with the close cuttings. I more or less have to treat it like a regular lawn only a constant cutting during high growing seasons. I can’t wait until the kids are in college 2 years from now, that’s when we are selling place.