Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the Lesco walk-behinds are very cheap, probably because they are the same as and are owned by Cub Commercial making them MTD. Anyways, how would you describe the difference in cut between Toros and Lesco? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
howie'slawncare said:
I noticed the Lesco walk-behinds are very cheap, probably because they are the same as and are owned by Cub Commercial making them MTD. Anyways, how would you describe the difference in cut between Toros and Lesco? Thanks for your help.
They cut pretty much alike cause they are commercial units, but what makes them apart is how you get serviced when it is down and needed to be in the shop....that when it breaks your back or not, dealer support or anal is what counts.
To be honest, in my areas the majority of cutting mowers breaks down like this: ( you can see them running while you drive by )
Walk Behind: eXmark ECS, Scag, Stander, and now lots of new Gravely walk
Rider: Hustler super Z, Toro new Z, Lazer HP, Scag Turf Tiger, and a bunch of JD Z.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MTR said:
They cut pretty much alike cause they are commercial units, but what makes them apart is how you get serviced when it is down and needed to be in the shop....that when it breaks your back or not, dealer support or anal is what counts.
To be honest, in my areas the majority of cutting mowers breaks down like this: ( you can see them running while you drive by )
Walk Behind: eXmark ECS, Scag, Stander, and now lots of new Gravely walk
Rider: Hustler super Z, Toro new Z, Lazer HP, Scag Turf Tiger, and a bunch of JD Z.
How do you like your Exmark walk-behinds? I'm looking into a 36" and 48". What are your models as far as deck type and drive type. I'm looking into hydro 36" and gear driven 48". I don't know what kind of deck to get though. Tell me all about yours if you can and don't mind. I'm trying to learn as much about them so I can make a good decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've heard that lesco can have so pretty good dealer support, but I don't have a dealer near me. the reason the lesco's are cheaper, is that there is no distributor taking there cut. I've looked at spread sheets, and the dealer sells the mowers for roughly double the price that it is sold from the factory to the distributor.

your gettign rid of the distributor with lesco, so that guy doesn't take his cut.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TClawn said:
I've heard that lesco can have so pretty good dealer support, but I don't have a dealer near me. the reason the lesco's are cheaper, is that there is no distributor taking there cut. I've looked at spread sheets, and the dealer sells the mowers for roughly double the price that it is sold from the factory to the distributor.

your gettign rid of the distributor with lesco, so that guy doesn't take his cut.
It must be nice for the dealers. Their making 50% where as the usually make 30-40%. They pay a lot less, but sell it for a little less than usual. But hey, why not? Does Quick 36 even go through anyone? If not, they probably make good money per unit sold!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
with the quick 36, your getting just about the distributor price. but if you bought like ten units, I think they might be a bit cheaper, I remember gary saying something about that.

the thing that I like, is that gary (the owner) is the person who will deal with warranty claims. it is HIS business that suffers if we are not satisfied, so I have always had great experiences with his mower, and with him personally.

if your interested in the mower, there are probably some people in ohio who wouldn't mind you checking it out, but just give him a call and he can work it out with you.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Howie,

After much consideration, and personal experience, at this point I think I will be sticking with Lesco for gas powered mowers until something changes. Neither Lesco or Cub Cadet builds commercial mowers. They are built by CPE (Commercial Power Equipment).

With that said, I also think that if I were going to buy a walkbehind that I would also choose a Lesco if I were going to get a hydro. I would go for the floating deck hydro, which has the same deck as my ZTR, plus ZTR-like controls and good Eaton hydros. The prices are $3,899 and less. I would expect it to be as good as the Z. The Eaton hydros are field proven to be great as they power Ferris hydro walkbehinds. Plus I like the ZTR-like controls because I value the condition of my hands and wrists. If I were going to run a walkbehind, I wouldn't want it to be something that required a gorrilla grip to operate. No thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TClawn said:
with the quick 36, your getting just about the distributor price. but if you bought like ten units, I think they might be a bit cheaper, I remember gary saying something about that.

the thing that I like, is that gary (the owner) is the person who will deal with warranty claims. it is HIS business that suffers if we are not satisfied, so I have always had great experiences with his mower, and with him personally.

if your interested in the mower, there are probably some people in ohio who wouldn't mind you checking it out, but just give him a call and he can work it out with you.
Quick 36's are cheap, but Dixon also has a 36" for $2000 and a 48" for $2500. For Dixon, that seems like a cheap price. They are fixed deck gear driven, but it is still a good price. Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
definatly check out that lesco hydro walk. even though it a lot more expensive, it is a double hydro. while the quick is a single. it's not bad, but you can ride a sulky with more control with a dual hydro, instead of a single.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TClawn said:
definatly check out that lesco hydro walk. even though it a lot more expensive, it is a double hydro. while the quick is a single. it's not bad, but you can ride a sulky with more control with a dual hydro, instead of a single.
Are the Toro walk-behinds dual hydros?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own a lesco 36in walk behind its a great machine for the price the cut is great and stripes well. The biggest problem is the dealer is no help once you buy it. When i need parts they never have them in stock. when i buy a ztr i will probally go with exmark just because of the dealer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a lesco 48 hydro floating deck it cuts and stripes very well, The only problem with mine is I had some traction problems because i noticed the engine sits more over the deck than over the back wheels and on other mowers the engine is over the back wheels more. other than that its great. And yes the tires are at the right inflation pounds

·
Registered
859 Posts
I really like my 36" lesco hydro as a walk behind. With the Lesco sulky on it, the front likes to pop up and yes I do have the weight kit on the front of the deck. The lesco leaves as good of a cut as my TriVantage Exmarks. I would like to add front baffles to the deck to see if it will discharge like the Exmarks do. Thats a winter project though. Sorry, I don't have any experience with Toro's.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
lwcmattlifter said:
I really like my 36" lesco hydro as a walk behind. With the Lesco sulky on it, the front likes to pop up and yes I do have the weight kit on the front of the deck. The lesco leaves as good of a cut as my TriVantage Exmarks. I would like to add front baffles to the deck to see if it will discharge like the Exmarks do. Thats a winter project though. Sorry, I don't have any experience with Toro's.
The floating deck version has the same deck as my ZTR, so it has the front baffles. Point is, you might want to check one out also. I strongly encourage you to do that because frankly, so far I'm finding that this deck out performs the eXmark deck.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
plateau lawn care said:
I have a lesco 48 hydro floating deck it cuts and stripes very well, The only problem with mine is I had some traction problems because i noticed the engine sits more over the deck than over the back wheels and on other mowers the engine is over the back wheels more. other than that its great. And yes the tires are at the right inflation pounds
Have a fabricator in your area gather some crap he has around to build you a quick-attach hang weight that you can hang on the machine right between the rear tires or just slightly behind there.

This will help a great deal in getting that needed traction when you need it and you can always drop it afterwards if you see or feel the need.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the lesco 48" float deck as well. I do notice a little traction problem. But other than that, the machine is a real beast. Comfortable, and it even lays a slight stripe on St. Augustine grass.

Hey one question for you guys that own this mower. Can you get the deck up to the nineth hole ( the 4 1/2 hieght position) om both sides? Because I cant on the left side.

Another thing, have you guys ever changed the hydro oil yet? How often? I cant figure out how to drain the oil.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Josh,

I don't have the walk, but I do have the same deck. Wo what is stopping it from going up to the 9th hole on the left side? Something hitting?

As for the hydro oil question, not being smug here, but Lesco provides a fantastic manual with the ZTR's... so is that not in your manual?

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
All Lawns & Landcare said:
No it does not tell you how to change it. Yeah there is something stopping it. Some kind of pully arm.
Well I'm sure an owner can help you with where the drains are, or you can call the Lesco shop as I'm sure they would be glad to tell you.

The only pulley I can think of that is on an arm is the tension pulley. If you position yourself on the left side where you can see it and then release the tension arm that latches on top of the left belt cover... then you will see it move and be able to confirm it.

Something my be a little out of whack there....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.