Toro Walk Behind Motor Stuck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JMAC1, May 6, 2019.

1. JMAC1

JMAC1 LawnSite Member

Hey Yall. I'm new so bear with me. I have an older Toro walk behind.
    Model #: 30178 Serial #: 240000403
    I was using this on a bank and the mower got stuck. Went to go get one of the other guys to help me pull it up and while I was gone it shut off.
    After shutting off I can not pull the cord to start at all. Extremely hard. Had and still does have plenty of gas. I have pulled the pull cord off down to the flywheel. Before doing so I removed the spark plug and tried to turn it over without it in. Still stuck as before. I'm at a loss to what it could be and where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 20190506_234618.jpg

20190506_234634.jpg

20190506_234627.jpg

2. Inks

Inks LawnSite Member

Either the incline caused oil starvation of the crank journal/piston skirt or the motor was already on its way out and the incline killed it. Either way i'd bet scored piston or melted connecting rod bearing.

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

How serious of an incline and how long were you gone? Did you throttle it down before leaving?

Have you tried to turn the motor with a wrench?

hort101, Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  4. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    JMAC1

JMAC1 LawnSite Member

I was gone maybe a minute or 2 max. And did not throttle it down at all. Have not tried turning it over with a wrench. I will try that today.

6. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

A minute or two at elevated throttle with oil starvation is enough to cause severe damage.

Breezmeister and Doc8406 like this.
  7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

^^^^^^What he said ^^^^^^

Look, you trashed the motor, as in out to lunch, as in seized, as in gettanewone.

8. OP
    OP
    JMAC1

JMAC1 LawnSite Member

That's what I'm afraid of. Any point in trying to repair this one?

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

If u can do the work yerself, pull it apart and see, right ?
    Caint hurt...err, well mayhaps a bit $$$$$$$.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Inks

Inks LawnSite Member

If it's the Piston or top crank bearing it's junk as that's often block damage. If it's the connecting rod then you would just need a new rod and either a new crankshaft or your old one lapped if it can be saved. Biggest expenditure is labor.

hort101 likes this.