1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Toro Z-Master won’t run

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 71NovaSS, Mar 22, 2020.

1. 71NovaSS

71NovaSS LawnSite Member

I have a 2008 commercial 500 series Z Master which I have spent 3 solid days trying to figure out why it won’t run. Replaced the starter, starter solenoid, and PTO switch. I’m just a regular Saturday wrench with no special tools or volt meters...wouldn’t know how to read it anyway. With the new starter, I could hear the bendix spinning, but not being sent up to the flywheel. This told me it wasn’t getting enough voltage. I cleaned just about all connections and noticed they were all pretty clean since I could see all the di-electric grease on the fittings. I observed no damaged wires to the harness such as caused by mice. Here’s where I am now, I got it started and running, but when I pulled up on the PTO switch to engage the mower, it shut off. Did this a few times, will run but no mow. Also noticed when I pushed the brake handle forward to disengage, it shut the machine off as well.....and the seat safety switch apparently isn’t working either since the machine will start with the seat in the up position. Could really use some help...thanks

2. thom

thom LawnSite Member

It sounds like you have a bad safety switch. I would start by putting a
    jumper wire across the seat safety switch connector.

3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Blades will not engage if seat switch is not working. I think that with brake engaged on a properly running machine you can start mower without being on seat. Just my 2 cents.

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

ANy luck? Also might want to look at the electronic solenoid. Not too uncommon for those things to go bad.

6. OP
    OP
    71NovaSS

71NovaSS LawnSite Member

No luck yet, tried wire jumping the seat safety switch...nothing. Ordered a new one since it’s cheap enough, but that’ll be tomorrow. Getting frustrated...

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Look, did ya study the wire diagram ? Check the key switch ? (I just read new pto switch.) Check the safety relay ?
    Check the fuse holders?
    I usually isolate the different circuits with a colored pen.

Breezmeister likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    71NovaSS

71NovaSS LawnSite Member

Turns out it was the rectifier..

Breezmeister likes this.