toro zero turn vs john deere

johntx14

LawnSite Member
I have 4000 bucks max looking to buy a ztm rider im looking at the toro 42" timecutter mx42 and john deere 48" will be using it for commercial use which is the better machine.

FoghornLeghorn

LawnSite Senior Member
I can't find an MX42 toro. Anyway, the timecutter 42 does not look very high quality. Have you thought about buying a used Hydro-Walkbehind?

Really maneuverable, doesn't take a lot of space on a trailer, and lightweight so they don't rut much. For your budget, this might be a better equipment choice.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Well he could get a new belt walk behind with bagger or sulky for 4 grand. But the deere units don't look to bad. Either way they are both residential mowers. What are you using them for?
Posted via Mobile Device

hi_speedreed

LawnSite Senior Member
everyone on here will tell you that you can't do this business with anything but commercial equipment. They must not realize not everyone has 20k to drop into a ztr, trailer, hydro walk behind, commercial walk behind and a truck to pull it all.

My toro timecutter 42" is moving into its 3rd year. The deck is a little beat up but its nothing my torch couldn't handle. Commercial is better. 7 gauge steel vs stamped steel is no contest but take it from me. buy the 42 time cutter for 2200 make some bank and when you can buy you a commercial ztr. after a while on the timecutter you will see what I mean. I am going to run the balls off mine til it don't run no more.

while every one else is making a payment, you can put that back each week til you can pay cash and you will feel much better and have no debt.

j-ville native

LawnSite Senior Member
everyone on here will tell you that you can't do this business with anything but commercial equipment. They must not realize not everyone has 20k to drop into a ztr, trailer, hydro walk behind, commercial walk behind and a truck to pull it all.

My toro timecutter 42" is moving into its 3rd year. The deck is a little beat up but its nothing my torch couldn't handle. Commercial is better. 7 gauge steel vs stamped steel is no contest but take it from me. buy the 42 time cutter for 2200 make some bank and when you can buy you a commercial ztr. after a while on the timecutter you will see what I mean. I am going to run the balls off mine til it don't run no more.

while every one else is making a payment, you can put that back each week til you can pay cash and you will feel much better and have no debt.
I agree with this. I started out with an Ariens Zoom 42" from Home Depot. It cost me $2200 and it handled all my lawns well. After my first 2 years I gained many new lawns and so I decided to upgrade to a Gravely zero turn. The Ariens Zoom still runs well and now serves as my backup zero turn. I never had any issues with it and I always wonder how many more hours I could have gotten out of it. Someone suggested you get a commerical walkbehind instead, but I'd much rather be sitting down on a residential zero turn than be walking behind a commerical walkbehind. I think that even a residential zero turn is more productive than a commerical walkbehind in most instances.

j-ville native

LawnSite Senior Member
For the record, over the past few years I see have seen quite a few lawn guys around here with timecutters and I guess they are doing fine since I see the same lawn guys still have them on their trailers. I'll also add that the 42" seems like the perfect size to fit through all gates

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Honestly if you only plan on using it for a small number of properties, then you will probably be able to get away with using a residential machine. Just make sure that you maintain it well. However if you plan on using it for a larger number of accounts (more than 10-15 a week) then I would look into a used commercial grade machine since a used machine would fit your price point. Afterall you wouldn't want your main machine being unable to hand the work load and risk having it break down often.
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
I have 4000 bucks max looking to buy a ztm rider im looking at the toro 42" timecutter mx42 and john deere 48" will be using it for commercial use which is the better machine.
How are you looking at a MX42 TimeCutter, when they don't come out until next year? Unless of course you have a dealer already setting you up on a pre-order.

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
I can't find an MX42 toro. Anyway, the timecutter 42 does not look very high quality. Have you thought about buying a used Hydro-Walkbehind?

Really maneuverable, doesn't take a lot of space on a trailer, and lightweight so they don't rut much. For your budget, this might be a better equipment choice.
Joseph:

The TimeCutter MX series has the same framing as the regular Time Cutter, but with a 10 gauge plate welded deck instead of the stamped deck, and MSRPs are running about $600 more than the standard upper model 42" TimeCutter (74626). With our drought here, i've still got pretty much every TimeCutter that I ordered, so I doubt that we would even see one in 2012 unless this rain we've been getting really turns the dealer side of the stories around.