Toro ZTR Hydro oil overflow out of tank.

DJL50

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a year 2005 Toro Z400 ZTR 52" cut, 19 hp Kawasaki engine. 500 hr. Separate pump and wheel motor on each back wheel. Parker/ hydro gear I think.
I do my own maintenance and change hydro oil and filter each spring.
This year is first year I used an aftermarket hydro filter JThomas. but everything was fine all season till now. Checked all fitting with a wrench and were ok.

Last week I started having a problem with hydro oil overflowing out the cap on the fill tank. I use Mobil one 15w50.
After searching the forum I dissembled the vent cap and cleaned it but it looked clean anyway.
Tonight I mowed once again and was keeping a close eye. Stopped often to check hydro oil level. Every thing looked perfect till about 45min of mowing. The oil level was very high in the tank and looked like it was foaming (Air? boiling? ) I stopped the mower and let it set for 1/2 hr. Oil level was again normal and I started to mow again.
Stopped often to check and everything looked perfect once again till after 45 min to 1 hr. Same thing, Oil level high and just started to foam or boil ??? Sure it would have overflowed again if I would kept mowing.
Trying to get an idea what is wrong. The ZTR has been problem free since I purchased new in 2007 (Model year 2005)

Thanks in advance.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
I have a year 2005 Toro Z400 ZTR 52" cut, 19 hp Kawasaki engine. 500 hr. Separate pump and wheel motor on each back wheel. Parker/ hydro gear I think.

If your set up is similar to our old Exmarks...And Toro owns Exmark.......

Checked all fitting with a wrench and were ok. Oil level high and just started to foam or boil ??? Sure it would have overflowed again if I would kept mowing. Trying to get an idea what is wrong

It sounds like you are sucking air into the system. The 2 high pressure hoses from each pump to the wheel motor would leak before sucking air, but can suck air if the "O"" rings are damaged from over tightening, and if you don't see any dirt build up around those connections, and you didn't go all gorilla on the fittings, I think they are good.

Each of your pumps would have 1 low pressure line going back to/near the hydro filter and 1 going back to the tank, one end would have a fitting, the other end would be held on to a hose barb with a spring type hose clamp, like the ones for fuel lines. Considering the age of your machine, I would look at them, check the end of the hoses for looseness/leaking....And any "T"s you run into....

OP
D

DJL50

LawnSite Senior Member
If your set up is similar to our old Exmarks...And Toro owns Exmark.......

It sounds like you are sucking air into the system. The 2 high pressure hoses from each pump to the wheel motor would leak before sucking air, but can suck air if the "O"" rings are damaged from over tightening, and if you don't see any dirt build up around those connections, and you didn't go all gorilla on the fittings, I think they are good.

Each of your pumps would have 1 low pressure line going back to/near the hydro filter and 1 going back to the tank, one end would have a fitting, the other end would be held on to a hose barb with a spring type hose clamp, like the ones for fuel lines. Considering the age of your machine, I would look at them, check the end of the hoses for looseness/leaking....And any "T"s you run into....
I was told at the time it was close to the Exmark CT.

Thanks for responding. I will check the low pressure hoses closer.
I was thinking if it was sucking air it would show right away in the hydro oil or faster than 45 min ???????
Is there some kind of trick one can use to spot where the air sucking in?

OP
D

DJL50

LawnSite Senior Member
Thought I would update my own post.
Today I got around to changing out the Hydro oil and filter. I once again used a JThomas brand filter because I always keep a spare on hand and the local mower shops are closed on Sundays to get an OEM.
The problem has been solved. Mowed today for over 2 hours and no problem. My guess the filter was letting air in somehow.

Top Forums