1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Torquing blade bolts question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 8, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Most guys I know around here dont use a torque wrench to put their blades back on. My manufacturer and dealer also tell me I really dont need to use a torque wrench. Just make sure they are on tight but not so tight the bolt gets 'stretched'. Am I asking for trouble not using a torque wrench? thanks much

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an impact to remove and install blade bolts. Have not found an easier way to do it. I would try to follow the manual as close as possible as far as torque goes. My w/b is about 75-80 ft. lbs. and my z isabout 115-120 ft. lbs. Good luck.

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I dont use one and have allways done fine but if i owned one i would use it.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Keifer...yes that where I'm at....spend 10k for a mower but I'm too lazy/cheap to go up to Sears and buy a torque wrench....but if I really dont need it then why waste my time and money right?
    Mr Manufacture rep even said I dont need one....just get them "very snug"...well that means I'll probably overtighten them

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Because of the rotational direction (how's THAT for a "technical" sounding term!:D ) or, is that directional rotation...:rolleyes: Anyway, the blade bolts have a tendency to tighten themselves up even more just a bit when the blades are kicked on.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I always use an impact to remove the bolts, and I've got a Snap On :cool: torque wrench.

I torque them to 85ftlbs on the Toro 52" WB.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Geez..... Snap On tools..... if I could afford them! Maybe in future but not now!

I have been considering about getting torque wrench because I have no idea how many ft/lbs of torque I tighten the bolts. I just simple tighten the bolts until I could not go any furthur. When it is time to change the blades it is always difficult for me to loosen the bolts, probably because I overtighten the bolts. I don't want to tighten the bolt with less torque than I usually do because I don't want to take the risk of blade falling off if it is not tight enough.

Although there are only a few reply in this thread, I would like to ask to see how many of you guys uses them.

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

A couple of days after a bought my new Walker Mower I had a knock at my front door, it was the UPS guy and he gave me a package. It was a torque wrench sent to me from Walker. I guess it must be important to torque the blades otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money out of thier pocket to send me a torque wrench.

Ray

Seths lawn likes this.
  9. bkd

bkd LawnSite Member

I always use a torque wrench. This way you know for sure you are not putting them on too tight or too loose.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Sears torque wrench. Dixie Choppers have a special fiber washer that can get crushed and distorted if overtightened.