• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Tough Time Deciding...

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok guys, I'm sure some of you get tired of these "What To Buy" threads, but I'm truly needing some honest advice here...

I'm fixing to get my income tax $$ in.:clapping: I plan on buying a new back pack blower (first purchase of one of these) and a new string trimmer (would be my second trimmer purchase in my lifetime). I'm having an extremely tough time deciding on which brands to buy out of the following 2 choices: Echo or RedMax.

The trimmers I'm interested in are the Echo SRM-280S, the SRM-265S, the RedMax BCZ 3050T, and the BCZ 2610S. The blowers I'm interested in are the Echo PB-755T and the RedMax EBZ 8001.
If there are newer models out between these 2 brands, I'd wanna take a look at those also. If any of you have a suggestion on a particular model of the brands mentioned that you think I may be interested in, please let me know.

I currently own an Echo SRM-210 trimmer which in my opinion, is top notch. I also own a RedMax HBZ-2601 handheld blower that, in my opinion is awesome. I bought the trimmer from Home Depot 7 years ago and has never let me down- not even once. But I've definately kept the maintenance up on it- which most people I know of don't do to trimmers. It's ALWAYS gotten the Echo 2-cycle oil up until recently when I switched to Amsoil. There's not a thing wrong with the trimmer, I just need an extra one...
I bought the blower back in August of 09' and it hasn't let me down either, but I haven't got but maybe a couple hours on it. So far, I've been well satisfied with it also.

The closest Echo dealer I'd buy from is 18 miles away (one way in a different parish) from my home and the closest RedMax dealer is a mile and a half away in the same parish I live in. The RedMax dealer is also sells Hustler, and that's who I bought my new mower and blower from last year. I
'm almost positive I could get an excellent deal on the Echo brand because a friend of mine works at an Echo dealer. She's been there about 4 years now. But I personally have never been in there myself.

I love my RedMax/Hustler dealer and I Know that he won't let me down, but I'm just not sure if I'd be making the right decision on buying the RedMax "brand." I'm sure he'd give me a good deal if I bought from him too, but to me alot of money will be involved and I have to do the right thing the first time.

I like the RedMax brand, but I also know the quality and reliability of Echo...

Should I buy both of the same brand? Should I buy the RedMax backpack and the Echo trimmer?? I really don't want to have my equipment scattered out between different dealers if I can help it.

All my 2 cycle equipment will be getting Amsoil Saber 100:1 ratio.

Thanks for the much needed advice. It's greatly appreciated.
Thunderhead:dizzy:

castlerockmo

LawnSite Senior Member
Do the redmax (husqvarna) love em that's all I run. I don't think they can be beat. If you could get your hands on a husqvarna 326 trimmer those are great I have one that has almost 2000 hours on it. The sthl rep even said NO ONE can compette with that 326L.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Thunderhead

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
Do you think that RedMax is a better brand than Echo? Just curious...

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I have never used Echo so I can't help you there. I do run Redmax and am satisfied with them. Everything else being equal I like to purchase equipment from the dealer closest to me. It is just no fun driving 15-20 miles for parts and service. The trimmers I use are 2600 series and the blowers are 8001. Plan to purchase a new 8050 blower this year. Not saying Redmax is the best but it is surely acceptable. Just an fyi, the newer 2 cycle stuff has a hard time running with the gasoline blends we are forced to use, especially in the heat of summer.

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
You cant go wrong with any of the major brands, redmax and echo definately being at the top. You will prolly see more redmax but echo will be just as good. I like the feel of the redmax blowers and trimmers more than any other brand and every dealer services/has parts for them around here. Since its 18 miles versus 1.5 miles for dealer service and parts, Id definately go with the redmax and never think about it again.

OP
Thunderhead

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
Just an fyi, the newer 2 cycle stuff has a hard time running with the gasoline blends we are forced to use, especially in the heat of summer.
The RedMax dealer told me that I have to run premium fuel in the RedMax equipment. But I have always ran premium in my 2-cycle equipment anyway...

OP
Thunderhead

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
i love me some Echos
I agree. That's why it's such a tuff decision.

As for the blower...I'm thinking I should just go ahead an get the RedMax backpack since I already have a RedMax hand held. I'll either get the 8001 or the new 8050 (which I haven't seen yet).

Still debating on which trimmer brand/model to purchase.

scotlykins

LawnSite Member
I have the same problem. So I bought a Bed Shaper and going to buy a mower.

Out of the two choices, i would buy a Stihl 600 blower and a Redmax trimmer. They just don't wear out.