Tow behind aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by woodlawnservice, Oct 1, 2018.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

I need an aerator for occasional use.. 1 acre lawn... tow behind. Dont want to kill the bank.. I've heard some people say the cheap ones at home depot and lowes work fine... I have found a ohio steel on that looks heavier built but I'll have to order it it... anyone have any luck with the box store ones? They have cheap looking plastic wheels on them...

2. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 48" agri fab core aerator that work really well. It was made decent for a yard, or 2. There are quite a few out there.

3. wjjones

4. woodlawnservice

wjjones likes this.
  5. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like good quality from the picture. Easily replacable tines too.

I have one of the big box store types (can’t remember the brand) and it is holding up well. I clean the dirt and mud out of it before putting it away for the Winter to prevent rusting the tines and so far so good. I’ve hit plenty of underground rocks and who knows what with plenty of weight on it and it takes the abuse wthout complaint. The cheap plastic wheels are no issue because the wheels are only used to cross driveways and walks and whatever. In use, it rests on the tines, not the wheels.

Keep in mind that with a tow behind the core pattern will be relatively sparse and multiple passes are needed. If time is money, might not be the best tool for the job. For occasional use, it’s a cheap solution that works surprisingly well.

Doc8406, wjjones and hort101 like this.
  6. woodlawnservice

Which cheaper one do you own

7. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I don’t know for sure anymore. Bought it a few years ago at one of the big box stores. Looking at the pictures on the big box sites, it’s likely a Brinley-Hardy. The Agrifab looks to have a sturdier hitch setup but I have no problems with the one I have.

8. wjjones

You check amazon? Prime should get it to you faster.

woodlawnservice likes this.
  9. woodlawnservice

I did but didnt see any

10. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

watching .. .. ..