1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tow behind mower wanted

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LonJon, Jun 21, 2001.

1. LonJon

LonJon LawnSite Member

I own a small tractor/mower and would like to add a tow behind mower, a double one would be even better. Were would I find one? Thanks!

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

3. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I mowed a friend's field with an AcreEase tow-behind. It was a very rugged unit that tracked well and never bogged down once in 7 inch grass and weeds.
    I believe he paid $1800 for it.

4. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

Don't know if you have any 'Farm & Fleet' or 'Tractor Supply' stores there. A friend of mine bought one there; all the convenience from the tractor seat: starting the tow-behind as well as heigth adjustment. He paid ~800.- for it.
    He uses a 12hp Craftsman to pull it and now mows his 5 acre lot (2.5 - 3mowed) in just over an hour. I guess the two together give him a 6.5' cutting swath. It does a good job mowing too, the lawn always looks nice.

5. LonJon

LonJon LawnSite Member

Thanks, very much BMDoyon and Catcher for the replies. I am looking for the AcreEase and for Tractor Supply. Both good tips. I have a Craftsman w/ 14 h.p. Kawasaki and 5 acres to mow so you hit the nail on the head! One hour mowing time would be a relief! I usually spend 5-6 hrs.! So, thanks a million. Bill Lonjon

6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about the same question.

In the process of buying a new house with 8 acres 6 to mow.I thought about the gang mowers that Northern has.My concern would be how I would keep them sharpened?

Thanks

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

try seeing if they are "self sharpening"? , i have a push reel and it is self sharpening and is always sharp , if there not , you can buy a reel sharpening kit, i've seen those somewhere

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Dixie Chopper also makes a 72" tow behind with a 25 hp Kohler on it. It is supposed to be able to cut as fast as you can pull it up to 15 MPH if you have a mower that fast and the turf is smooth enough. :)

I'm not for sure on the price, but I think it's around $4,500