• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

TOW VEHICLE?

Mowman

LawnSite Senior Member
ANYONE USING A JEEP WRANGLER FOR TOWING YOUR EQUIPMENT? LOOKING TO GET A JEEP TO PLOW SNOW AND THEN TO PULL MY TRAILER AND MOWER IN SUMMER. RIGHT NOW I'M USING A
S-10 W/2.2 VORTEC AND MANUAL TRANS. DO YOU THINK THE JEEP WILL HANDLE THE WEIGHT? TRAILER & MOWER WEIGH IN AT ABOUT 1800LBS. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.
Mowman

bdemir

LawnSite Senior Member
Mowman i think a jeep should be able to handle that weight and i have seen lawn people driving jeeps for their sole vehicles but i would recommend a full size truck for towing if possible. If the s-10 can handle it then the jeep is not to far off. Sounds like a lot of weight but it should be able to handle it. Jeeps are great for plowing tightly rounded driveways.

Bedros

[Edited by bdemir on 01-10-2001 at 07:42 PM]

Cutter1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Where are you going to put grass in a jeep?? You can always use a truck for certain things, a jeep is limited.

OP
M

Mowman

LawnSite Senior Member
I KEEP IT IN THE GLOVE BOX. HA!!! HA!!! JUST KIDDING. I DON'T BAG CLIPPINGS. IN MY AREA YOU CAN'T TAKE IT TO THE LANDFILL AND I HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. I HAVE A
WALKER MT-54 SD. I FIND THAT SIDEDISCHARGING WORKS JUST FINE.
Mowman

cutting edge

LawnSite Member
I have used a Wrangler and a Cherokee with a 5X10 trailer. I then went to an ext. cab F150 with a 7X16 tandem. I have one account that I could turn around in the drive using either jeep. But with the F150 and tandem I have to back into a partial blind drive. Not wanting to cause an accident I have since purchased a 5X12 trailer to use at this account. I sure miss that wrangler some days.

Cutter1 you would be surprised at how much you can cram into a wrangler with the back seat removed.

Cutter1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Evan...I don't bag much either, but you always could use a truck. Never know when you are going to need it.....mulch, stone, or things that you really can do with a jeep.

geogunn

LawnSite Gold Member
dang! I just can't keep it straight.

I know what the cherokee is but is the wrangler the jeep that looks like a modified cj5/7. only newer/safer? (supposdly).

either of those will have ample power to pull a lawncare outfit, but as has been previously comented, you really need a truck.

that 4.0 engine, however, is perky as a 17 YO cheerleader headed for state college. umm...hmmm!

GEO

mike

LawnSite Member
Don't know about a Jeep, but I had a geat, dependable old Dodge pickup until some "YOYO" ran into me & totaled it. Now I bought another old Dodge & fixing it up to pull my equipment, etc. Can't beat an old truck!!!!