1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing 3,000lbs and 20 MPG Avg

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TWGS, Sep 9, 2017.

1. TWGS

TWGS LawnSite Member

Hello,

I used to use a Diesel SUV to tow 1400lbs in equipment and 1,500 in trailer weight and get around 20 mpg. Does anyone get 20mpg average with a v6 diesel pickup or any gas pickup? Just purchased a used 5.7 V8 and I am averaging 10-12mpg and hating it out of principle and the smallness of the tank. Refueling every day or other day.

Thanks

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The "magic" is in the old Toyota dually

They used to make this little two seater for rvs and uhauls

It's got a 3.0 v6 in it and gets over 20mpg on average.

Lots have been converted to flatbeds or landscape ramp bodies.

Iirc 96 was the last year they were made?

Rare find but worth the money.

You could do similar success with a v6 ranger or Toyota and a single axle trailer.

There's also the old diesel Isuzu pup if you can still find one of those.

3. TWGS

TWGS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. What about a 2014 Ram 1500 v6 Diesel 18/23mpg, new ones get high 20's on highway without towing?

4. sbronemann

sbronemann LawnSite Member

Chevrolet/GMC Colorado and Canyon diesels are getting 20+ towing moderate loads. They will average 30+ empty. My 16.5 Mazda CX-5 will get 17-20 depending on how fast I drive towing my 2400 mowing equipment trailer. It has averaged as good as 22 towing only going 60 mph.

5. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Waiting on new F-150 Power Stroke to see what kind of mileage numbers it gets.

6. sbronemann

sbronemann LawnSite Member

It's just unfortunate it will probably cost $50k+ to get one putting it out of most people's reach.

CGros31 likes this.
  7. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Member

I actually went out and bought a new truck today. Spent plenty of time doing my research beforehand and a long afternoon at the dealership weighing my options, running numbers on fuel and weighing in on what they had to say. Was planning on getting the F250 Powerstroke base XLT model. Actually ended up leaving the lot with a F150 Lariat 3.5l Ecoboost and not only because we got a good deal on it... Decided, along with the dealer, that since we are towing under 12,000 this would be most financially feasible and more than enough for what we do. In addition to enjoying almost 10mpg over the diesel when towing, the maintenance will be much less.

With the $15k+ price difference in the two I am considering getting an older F250 for heavier equipment than the regular 2 or 3 wright standers on the mowing trailer. I'm not saying this will work for you, especially if you tow heavier loads- but with us towing no more than 4-5,000 on the average day, it was the right choice.

8. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

The fuel economy on the newer half ton and smaller diesels are great, but they're expensive. To the point where you may as well buy a 3/4 ton diesel that was made to do what we do everyday.

I guess I don't care much about fuel economy because my customers pay that expense for me, it's all factored into my prices. And I don't drive my trucks outside of work very often, so it's not a deal breaker for me.

Once you start towing more weight, fuel goes out the window and becomes less of an issue. Full it up and make sure you customers are paying for it!

Grant11 and Mdirrigation like this.
  9. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good friend that was very disappointed in eco-boost towing mpg. Seems to be extremely common trend on forums as well. They get as good as a naturally aspirated V8.

agreed with above that half ton diesel options are simply not cost effective.

10. jimSo14

jimSo14 LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a 2016 basic f150 with tow package. Will tow 7,500 lbs. Gets 25mph on highway not towing. Towing 5,000 lbs usually get 18-20 mph/ 3,000 lbs probably gets about 20. Will even back your trailer up for you. Got brand new for about $25,000. This is the XL with upgraded elct. package, tow kit, locking diff.
    Great back up camera etc.
    Happy with it.

sehitchman likes this.