1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing 3,000lbs and 20 MPG Avg

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TWGS, Sep 9, 2017.

1. jimSo14

jimSo14 LawnSite Senior Member

My F150 does the same... for a third the cost of the Ram Eco diesel, except I have a 6' 14' dual wheels and about 5,000 lbs. stopping and going often.

2. jimSo14

It would be nice if Ram sold the eco diesel with a work truck trim level. You have to buy there top trim level 50-60,000 to get the eco diesel. The engine is I think Italian made and the torque is not as much as you would think. Fords gas eco boost engines have more torque.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Can't get the eco diesel in a w/t?
    That's lame

We've got a f150 ecoboost ... it's one helluva truck
    Too many bells and whistles if you ask me

In Europe they have endless numbers of economical low out put diesels it's almost how the entire continent gets to work.

Our problem here is 'Murcia!! Eat 20 oz steak and go vroom!!
    There isn't enough market to bring that stuff here
    That stuff would sit and not sell like a Suzuki trike or an opal station wagon.

4. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say low. I live in the middle of the county away from the beaches and businesses. I do accelerate hard and rountinely floor it when starting off bit dont speed and use cruise control when up to speed. I also idle frequently to cool truck. I would say 30 mins a day in 5 min stretches. A/c mostly on high and I have a dash cam that is always on(to lazy to finish hard wiring) so alternator under more load than normal. I reset the mpg on trip A the other day and it is at 16 mpg now but has been rising. I have been cutting trees from storm damage so I was at jobs for 3 hrs so would start truck and cool down when too hot and water wasn't enough. I reset it in driveway and next morning I idled 5 mins and it said 1.1 mpg lol.

5. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Senior Member

Please educate yourself before you post false info.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kfIlg1ejaWQu5iBy1

6. jimSo14

Ya that is 2015 (yours).. I looked at them in 2016. What I said was from two dealers and Rams web site then, 2016.
    Just checked their web site now, 2017 RAM 1500 TRADESMAN HFE QUAD CAB 4X2 6'4" BOX. So they offer a Tradesman HFE this year.
    3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine (Late Availability)
    The 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine delivers 240 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. It has a maximum towing capacity of 9,200 pounds.
    Says late availability, what ever that means.
    Like I said I checked 2016 when I was buying new half ton truck. I was interested then but as mentioned dealers would only offer in high end models.
    Looks like you get about 100 lbs more of torque than gas engine, V6. And you can tow 1,700 lbs more than the ford with smallest engine. Not sure what you paid but I was able to get a new F150XL, w Tow Package, Electronic upgrade package, Locking Diff for a little over $25,000.
    But glad to see they offer it in a work truck, but looks like without incentives it's about $10,000 more than a comparable gas model. Hope Ford does go ahead and offer a 1/2 diesel option in future but price needs to be competitive.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I drove one of those flatbeded , pulled a 36 and 21 , exhaust never got hot enough to notice?????

8. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

If UPS is doing it then it's the way to go....They're pretty good at optimizing their routes and for efficiency.

13.4 towing 3-4K on a 4.6...We're only towing these days lots of biking till it gets cold. The 3.8 on the buick gets about 15+ though it's trailer is only 1.6K ;)

BR,

~TW

hort101, JLSLLC and sjessen like this.
  9. jsd43

jsd43 LawnSite Member

IMG_0242.JPG I have a 2015 Ecodiesel. And it is a Tradesman, one of the lowest trim levels. It suits my needs perfectly. Towing about 6,000 lbs I average 16mpg. When solo, it jumps to 25-28 mpg. Hand calculated.

10. jimSo14

Great they are selling them now at the lower trim levels. Gives people more options.