1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by howardsells2000, May 31, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I found a F350 dually that I may want to purchase but it needs to be towed home. It's about 200 miles away from me. Do you think I could tow it with my 2004 F150 2wd 4.6 V8 automatic. I can borrow a friends car trailer. Am I asking for trouble towing something that big with my truck. If I can tow it I might be more inclined to purchase it but if I have to pay someone to deliver it me, It would cost to much.

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you are. An F350 dually is going to weigh a good 7,500 pounds. A trailer than can handle that much weight will weigh 2,500 or more. A typical "car hauler" is too short, too narrow and too light to handle that much truck. I've got one, and I can barely fit a full size 1/2 ton standard cab pickup on it. You need a minimum 18 foot deckover trailer with a 10,000 GWVR. With your F150, you could redneck it down the road for a few miles, but for a 200 mile trip you are likely to bend, break or fry something that costs way more than the 3-400 bucks it would cost you to have the F350 towed.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Why can't you drive the F350 home? I think that would be a little much for a F150. Does the F150 have a trailer brake controller? And the trailer have brakes that function properly?

The F150 could tow it, but stopping would be scary. I don't think I would attempt it.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You could pull the empty trailer to the 350 then trailer the 150 back! ah hah! I got it!

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

PLM does have it, if the 350 runs and drives! If it does, why don't you just bring someone along to bring one home. If I was closer, I'd drive that F350 home for you... to my house!:dancing:

6. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm with the rest here, haul the 150 back. Your truck is not rated to pull that much weight and a standard car trailer is only 78-84 inches wide. The dually is wider, close to 8 ft.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I thought he meant the 350 was broke.:confused:

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what I am thinking.

9. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

Last week I towed my 3500HD on my triaxle. I used my 3500 Dodge with the Cummins and I knew it was there. I think that is to much weight for the F150.
    My guess is the F350 isn't licenced for the return trip.

10. Jacob's Yardworks LLC

Jacob's Yardworks LLC LawnSite Member

That would make sense since its a Ford and all :laugh: