1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing with ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trinity1, Jun 1, 2008.

1. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

Has anyone used there mower to haul stuff fromm a front yard to the back with a small cart? If you have what is a safe weight to pull

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We tow a pull behind aerator with our old lazer hp that has 2,200 hours on it.

3. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I dont own a Z but I have heard that if you can pull it by hand, then it is safe to tow with the mower.

4. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

pulls my boat no problem

5. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

We pull an aerator, a stone trailer, and various drags behind ours. The hydraukic fluid will let you know when it's too heavy.

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

People pull trailers and attachments all the time with regular lawn tractor style mowers. I get folks asking me all the time if they can tow with a ZTR. I instantly think about the infinitely stronger frames, hydro system, and trailer hitching systems and how hair-brained of a question that is, but I politely inform them yes, a ZTR is more than capable of towing what their lawn tractor could tow.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

then why answer, mine pulls fine, pulls my boat nice and can place it anywhere

8. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

With all do respect, this is just what I heard from my dealer regarding Ferris ZTR's when I asked. I know that your mower CAN tow your boat but do you think its good for the hydros? I was just saying what would probably be the safe estimate for towing not the absolute most that it will pull without breaking down. I know that if I do buy a Z, I wont be towing any boats with it, but hey, its your stuff to do whatever you want with it.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

A safe estimate would likely be between 250 and 500 pounds per load.

10. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

anything u want.... we pull a small wood chipper w/ ours ( one that you can pull down the road) small trailer loaded w/ sticks a good size load of dirt from dirt bile to various places were u can't use the skid.....

works welll and u can pull way more than what u can carry that's BULL!!!