1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tracking device draining battery? Thoughts please!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lone Mower, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Lone Mower

Lone Mower LawnSite Member

I have a new mower that has been in the shop several times for a dead battery. No the key is not been left on as the manufacturer is saying! I'm not sure about the amp draw on the tracking device but the dealer saying there's no way that the small amout of draw is causing the issue. I dont use the mower every day since I'm just starting out in the lawn business and my thoughts at this point is to could use a battery maintainer to stop this from happening again. I will be picking up the mower in the morning and sometime soon me and a buddy will do a complete amp draw test on the machine. Any thoughts?

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

You need to find another dealer. It is a new machine with a warranty. You did not post what mower/engine you have but if you want to, go to the mfg website and download the wiring schematic. Study it and with an amp probe or dvom, you will be able to determine the excess voltage draw, if there is one. Is the charging system working properly? Has the battery been load tested? There are too many unknowns.

3. Lone Mower

Lone Mower LawnSite Member

New battery for the third time and charging system is working fine. 27 hp Briggs engine.

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

How are you going to perform an amperage draw test?

BigFish likes this.
  6. tech5201

tech5201 LawnSite Member
    from EC NE

Lone,
    First thing I would do is disconnect the tracker for a few days or more to prove it isn't the cause.

Lone Mower likes this.