• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Trade show PROGREEN

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
Doubt I will make it up Peter. You should have set it up with one of the distributors so you could make sales on remotes too. Get Ewing or JDL to give the customer a 5% discount and you get 5% as well. I have NEVER seen the suppliers talk about or push or promote the remotes and their benefits.

bcg

LawnSite Bronze Member
Peter, have you considered asking them how much service is a part of their business and if it's a decent chunk then educating them on the benefit of the remotes? You need to be a distributor for Rainmaster or TRC, I think, so you can sell both parts. Like Dana says, I've never seen them promoted by either the manufacturers or the supply houses. If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't have known they existed. I tried to find TRC and/or RM remotes at the IA show withougt any success, I really think if those guys spent just a little bit of effort to educate users and promote their products, they'd sell a whole lot more. Once you've seen one in action, it's an absolute no-brainer to buy one.

Along that thread about no-brainers, I was concerened about the cost of leaving pigtails on ALL of my jobs instead of just maintenance contract customers or those that were already giving repeat business but now that I've been leaving them everywhere for a few weeks, I'm wishing I'd been doing it all along. They're actually a little easier to install than what I'd been using and not removing them does save enough time to be worthwhile. I know it's been said before but for those that are using remotes and not leaving pigtails at every job, you really should be.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
EICON...Will somebody bail me out and find a good info site on eicons. i know TORO bought them but zilch after that. Their site no longer works.
They had a good reputation, a lot of schools and commercial sites have them. Their remote was/is right up there with RM. I have no clue what happened to them, given Toro's proclivity for wrecking companies.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LawnSite Silver Member
Trade shows are tough when you're just a one man operation. I had a booth at a couple of local ones out here in So Cal when I was runnign the controller repair business. The only reason 90% of the people wanted to talk to me was because I had free pens. One of the shows we had zero return in terms of sales and the other resulted in repairing a total of 4 controllers for a local city government who never paid us. I did get a lot of attention from one of my competitors who spent a lot of time walking by my booth repeatedly... it was pretty funny.

OP
FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER

Banned
Trade shows are tough when you're just a one man operation. I had a booth at a couple of local ones out here in So Cal when I was runnign the controller repair business. The only reason 90% of the people wanted to talk to me was because I had free pens. One of the shows we had zero return in terms of sales and the other resulted in repairing a total of 4 controllers for a local city government who never paid us. I did get a lot of attention from one of my competitors who spent a lot of time walking by my booth repeatedly... it was pretty funny.
i agree Dan. They are enticing and give you a sense that the market is huge but the reality never pans out. I think if you sell major equipment a few sales can easily justify the cost of the show. When you are small ball like I am they are hard to justify. In hindsight I should have brought my products to the show and sold them on the spot. sell them 5 at the 20 unit cost or one to try and keep it around the 20.00 bill mark. Had one guy buy the RB 32 MC cable and a 12 station for 60.00 cash. Didn't really intend to sell but in the future i'll definitely push the product. I also had some 5ml? nylene gloves that Matt says are great that I'm thinking of adding as well. A little heavier grade than your typical disposable glove.

Learned a few things from my nosing around:
The RM remote is getting an overhaul. It is 16 year old technology and the rep said the time has come. Should be out in 18 months.
I asked what the deal was on having the Sentinel and the Rainmaster under the same umbrella. They tried to describe it to me as a GM chevrolet thing. (Last time I checked GM went bankrupt) Said RM is contractor friendly and Sentinel is more conservation/public arena friendly.
One long time Irritrol guy said working under Toro can be frustrating. I asked about running the tails through TORO distribution and he said GOOD LUCK. They can be very insular on products I take it. Interesting to see RM going from a major SHOW presence to a small one stand display with the long time rep in Irritrol garb.
A lot of city people. I bet that was half the show attendance. Either they were very dumb and had no clue to remote technology or very cutting edge with Motorolas etc.
Ditch Witch and TORO seem to be having a copycat battle on Dingo type equipment and attachments. I'd play those two off on each other if you are shopping for new equipment.
Told these guys I'd give them a plug. They seem to have a nice little market niche. Motorized wheelbarrows with conversion kits to do other stuff like suck up horsesh&t. Bad back people get drawn to these things.
www.mucktruckcolorado.com

They also sold a tool box that I thought was pretty nifty. Rather than just pile up with stuff behind your cab in the bed of a flatbed it slid out to either side of the truck.

I also want to give my booth neighbor a plug. Really nice guy who watched my booth when I wandered and stole chocolate from other booths. Sells an injector system for fertilizer, ph, water particle issues. Some golf course/turf application but mainly blueberries and such.

http://www.heanderson.com/

SPRINTERS ARE AWESOME. Had two at the show. What a friggin price tag though.