Traded my Cheetah today for a V-ride II

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm sure this will get mixed reviews from my LS brethren, but hey, it is what it is lol!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, and today when I saw a 2019 61 V-ride for sale at the Dealer, I had to inquire. The short of it is (assuming my guy I've worked with for 8 years is telling the truth) the mower was traded in by a fella who trades every two years because he likes his stuff under warranty. It's got the Kawi 801 engine. I traded my '16 Cheetah 61 inch with the 31 Kaw for the V-ride (both with about the same number of hours) even up. No cash, check, credit.... nothing. Only think I need to do with the V-ride is put new tires on it ($250).

I figure if I hate standing the whole time, I can always go back. But I am ready for a change. When I run my gen I v-ride for extended periods of time, my back and knees always feel so much better, than when I sit for those long times. Obviously taking a risk buying used, especially since I've taken really good care of the Cheetah. But in the end, I think this is going to be a better fit for me once I get a little more time on it.
I have a predator pro and since I got a stander the pred pro just sits collecting dust besides cleanup time. . If standers had better fall cleanup baggers I’d get rid of the pred pro completely. Huge relief on my back vs a Ztr. I’m getting a tiny bit of center back inflammation but nothing compared to how my lower back feels after sitting on a ztr all day.

DMT29

LawnSite Fanatic
I can definitely get under lower branches while squatting down on the 636 versus trying to dodge on the z994. The seat back/rops hinge is higher than the top of the 636 controls.
TT ripped of a pretty nice size branch Tuesday on a lilac bush. I didn't even feel it.

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I appreciate all the comments and discussion!

I spent about 6 hours on it today. I really, really like it! The bigger tires and heavier deck allow a little more speed and comfort than the Gen I 52" that we have (that's still a great unit too, though). Love the controls, too. They're super smooth and there's no herky-jerky going on at anytime. I feel like the engine has enough power, but to be honest, I had my tunes playing and really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to that. Nothing jumps out at me though in terms of the engine (other than it starts super easy). I was excited to mow today, and see how I felt after 6 hours on it. Legs feel great and so does my back. I'll report back at the end of the season. Maybe I'll feel differently! But right now, I'm very optimistic.

I did notice my brake doesn't seem to be holding my mower in one spot on the trailer. At least I think it's the brake. Maybe it's just sliding on the older wood floor when I hit some rougher roads. In the past, I always had a 2x4 screwed down to block the wheels. I pulled those up and was hoping to not have them on there to trip over all the time lol. I'll check the manual to see if there's a brake adjustment.

Another thing I noticed is, it will "drift" backwards after I load it onto the trailer, before I apply the break (engine is still running). Normal? Didn't have that with my Cheetah, but then again, these are totally different machines. I'll check the manual for adjustments there, too.

Anyone disable the kill switch on the platform? I looked at it a little bit and it seems like a lot of wires all tied together. Cheetah was a simple jumper wire. I'll more than likely leave that alone but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

So far so good, though!!! Love how balanced it is!

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'd go all the way, make a full cab of it and a rooftop ac unit for a camper. Honda 2kw generator to power it.

Is this close enough, heat A/C, got the stereo too? Mounted is a front flail mower with hammer blades instead of normal "y" cutters. Had to get it ordered out of Canukistan they don't trust us US idiots with something so destructive.
IMG_2274.JPG

Last edited:

True Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I switched over to scag this year from Ferris. Was looking at the v ride but I have a few property’s that are over 2acers. Would love to demo a v ride... my local scag dealer does demo but can’t seem to get them in.
Sounds like you’re liking the v ride

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I have a bigger subdivision to do next week. I’ll be mowing for a good 75 minutes non stop. I’ll let ya know!! I feel like it’s gonna be great though. I noticed yesterday that I was constantly shifting and moving, while mowing. On my Cheetah I think there was a lot less movement for me at least and that probably caused more aches on my body.
We’ll see …. Maybe I’ll get arthritis in my hands now lol!!

Last edited:
OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Update:

Still love almost everything about the 61" VII.

Cut quality is excellent.

Power and mpg's are working out just fine so far (we'll see next year in the height of the Spring growth, though).

The smaller engine, and not having right behind my head, is definitely quieter - significantly I'd say. I've appreciated that.

Still simply love/prefer the pumps and motors.

It's lighter - and the weight is over the deck instead of behind me. That's is good and bad. I slide more, but tear less. But as I keep cutting, I slide less and less.

It's plenty fast enough for me.

I'm WAY cleaner when I get done mowing. Grass does not cover me on the VII like it did sometimes sitting on the Cheetah.

My legs and back are perfect. Zero pain/discomfort with either of them (yes, my banged up knees felt terrible at the end of a long day on the Cheetah). Also, I think I shift more standing, instead of sitting in one place. My hands and wrists felt it a little bit yesterday and this AM. I am hoping that's just temporary???

Busted the front left bolt that the deck chain hangs on at the end of the day on my own lawn. Flew to the Hardware store on my scooter and bought 4 replacement bolts and their nuts. I only replaced the front left (was gonna ask here about doing all four and decided not to start a thread about that).

I'm happy so far. Love the trailer space. It's so much more balanced than the VI I have. Everytime I ride that one, I feel like I'm on a toy lol.

I will add that; even though I have zero joint and/or back pain, I DO feel like my entire body is more tired at the end of a long day.

No big deal on any of it... just updating my friends here :)

Top Forums