Trades pricing comparables

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by THIESSENS TLC, Sep 29, 2018.

1. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

So maybe the title isn’t the greatest lol. I’m wondering what your guys thoughts are on overhead, pricing, labour intensive work, skill etc from one trade to another. We all know landscaping is not cheap, but I guess what I’m asking is, how it compares to other trades and if you can even compare any of them to landscaping. Like electric, plumbing, auto mechanics etc. My thoughts are that landscaping is by far more expensive than other trades, but I don’t know forsure. What are your thoughts?

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

In my area landscaping is on the low end but higher than other labour type companies like movers. I know of some carpenters and a couple other trades like exterior work who bill out less than we do at $60/hr

3. THIESSENS TLC

We all know landscaping can be labour intensive (depending on what your doing) for the most part, so your body takes a beating, your tools and equipment take abuse (like other trades also) so they need maintenance and repairs, your charging for skill that not many people can do or even know how to do and I believe landscaping is a luxury and if you want something nice you have to pay for it!

I guess I’m on a bit of a rant here...there will always be somebody that thinks your expensive.

4. Mitty87

I'm over on the west coast, so many companies here are priced so low like $40/man hour range. We just started up last year and have the highest irrigation repair rate in town of about 100k. What are you getting as a general labour rate over there? I'm on Vancouver island, I manage $60 for landscaping and a bit more for hedges, $67.50 for irrigation repair after $90 first 45 minutes, I have a couple clients we do weeding at $45/hr but there are only 2 or 3 of those from last year when my prices were lower.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Hardscape market is saturated with competition. You need multiple crews to make a living. Too much stress. There’s more money in dog grooming

6. THIESSENS TLC

I’m getting anywhere from $50-$100/hr depending on what I’m doing.

I’m just wondering if anybody has any insight on pricing and overhead from one trade to another. I know landscaping has a ton of overhead, just wondering if other trade businesses have the same, and can you compare them?

7. THIESSENS TLC

I work solo most of the time, sometimes the girlfriend comes out to help when she’s not busy with school work. We have done very well for ourselves even though there is a lot of competition. But without the competition, it wouldn’t be any fun anyways!

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Excavating has far more direct costs and overhead. Anything involving heavy machinery is big money to keep afloat.

Around here, latinos (legal and illegal) are demanding $20 to $25 per hour to start. Without experience. They know that if they don't do the work - the work ain't getting done.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mitty87

All machine operators are swamped where I live. On one hand it seems like a nice money maker but the initial investment and extra trucks and trailers needed, higher insurance, makes $60-70/hr for manual labor sound pretty good.

The good thing about machinery is most people see the value of the hourly rates and won't generally complain about price.