1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer AND Equipment stolen!! Beware and Help

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by rbljack, Sep 23, 2014.

1. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well, even though my trailer was locked to my truck and coupled, they cut the lock and took my completely loaded trailer with all my equipment on it including my NEW (30 hours use) lazer Z S series right out of my front yard. Im so frustrated right now. Figured Id post this so anyone in the Texas area can help me keep an eye out for the equipment going for sale.The majority of my equipment listed in my signature is missing to include:

The trailer, the Lazer Z S series 52 inch mower, the Exmark 30, the Honda HRC 21 inch mower. For handhelds, the BR600 is stolen, the KM130 with straight shaft trimmer attachment, the FS250R, and the FC75 edger all within a 3 trimmer rack and a blower rack.

I'm totally screwed now, its rained here finally, and customers are NOW calling wanting yards mowed. Years work and business building may be down the tubes. Police report was filed, and I called the insurance company already too. Today I went out and bought a new KM130 and straight shaft trimmer so I can keep going. I still have my stihl shredder vac, and the husky 21 inch mower. So its back to basics working out of the bed of my truck again. :cry:

IF your reading this, and you don't have a detailed list of your equipment to include serial numbers, go out there and take a day to document that stuff! I had most of mine, so that helps when they go out trying to locate your equipment. Bad news is that I don't think it will be recovered. I recommend each and every one of you sit down and evaluate how safe and secure your equipment is. Reevaluate your insurance coverages, and make sure your coverage matches what you CURRENTLY have. I now wish I had installed a camera security system to watch over that stuff. Something to think about! You can be sure Ill have one VERY SOON to watch over my household. Now I will have to figure out what Im going to with my equipment when not in use when I can afford to get another trailer. Im trying to avoid cussing in this post, so Im going to just shut up now and try to get some sleep.

:walking:

2. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Im sorry to read this. I wonder how they moved the trailer or truck after uncoupling it?

3. curleelawncare

curleelawncare LawnSite Member

Man, that sucks!!!! I worry about my equipment all the time. Hope something shows up.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Sorry to hear of this happening. There is nothing that is lower than a thief, and it should be legal to shoot and kill them on sight. Property crime or not. They are stealing food from your table and income for your family and self.

I hope that it all turns out well for you, but know firsthand it rarely does. Good luck to you bro.

5. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

Awful. Hope things work out for you

6. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to get an insurance claim check pretty quick to help with replacement.

Pretty determined thieves for sure too.

7. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I hate reading these kinds of threads, I still cant believe that people could steal a mans tools that he uses to feed his family. Hope insurance covers it all.

8. OP
    OP
    rbljack

from Texas

For those wondering what type of security I had, the trailer was attached to the truck, and the hitch coupling was locked. Also, each mower on the trailer was locked using the heavy duty locks and cables. The trimmers and blowers were locked in their racks as well.

The Exmark was/is financed, and I still owe 10K on that mower. I added it up last night, and to replace all the equipment, its just under 20K.

Side notes for today: I only had that one piece of equipment financed, and that's a plus I guess. Financing 0 pieces of equipment is better for the business, but it just wasn't in the cards. I cant afford to go out and finance a second ZTR of that caliber.

I had 4K in the checkbook, so I went out and immediately bought a new KM130R to trim and edge with, and will be using the shredder vac to blow with. it sucks

9. OP
    OP
    rbljack

from Texas

better make damn sure your insurance is accurate. I upgraded trailers in the spring, and it wasn't on the policy. the old one was and the commercial auto policy said I get nothing. Nothing for the trailer, and nothing for the contents! Even though it "mentions" thief protection, they only cover someone stealing the WHOLE truck, or the trailer that was listed in the policy. Nothing more......isn't life grand.

Next will be the fiasco with the home owners policy to see how they can weasel out of paying. Im so fed up right now. I should be out mowing yards, and I cant even do that because im on the phone with the insurance companies.

So im having to talk to THIEVES about THIEVES.....isn't that special. :cry:

10. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you are frustrated but why would you blame an insurance company because you didn't call and tell them about a new trailer purchase?
    I wouldn't count too much on your homeowner's policy either since this was commercial equipment.