1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer AND Equipment stolen!! Beware and Help

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by rbljack, Sep 23, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

well that's true enough. I forgot to update the policy, but at the very least they could provide the VALUE of the trailer that I WAS covered for. I don't think the world owes me everything, and yes I made a mistake in my policy coverages. And at the end of this week, it may very well be a 20,000 dollar mistake. That is no exaggeration either, its what it will cost to replace those items. The ZTR only has 30 hours on it, so if anyone sees a listing for a low hours 52 inch Exmark, please PM me.

The intent of my postings at this point is to inform others of what can happen, and hope to protect yourself,

2. lopealle

lopealle LawnSite Member

No worries man everything will come back ten fold. Remember there is no honor among thieves so they will screw each other over eventually.

3. lopealle

lopealle LawnSite Member

Also it's not always wise to display setup online. Once people what you have you can be marked as target. THat's something to think about for all the users on here.

4. OP
    OP
    rbljack

from Texas

no leads and nothing found yet. its not looking good. I went ahead and bought a trailer Saturday to get back to work. I aint going down without a fight.....gonna push through this season somehow and rebuild.:cry:
    :weightlifter:

5. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Man that is terrible. I have had some stuff stolen, but not on that scale. I haven't gotten over what I lost and it has been years.
    I see LCO's leaving loaded trailers out over night and I am thinking they are sitting ducks for meth head thieves or pros. Garages/storage buildings are not full proof but are the best way to limit your risk. I take the time to unload everything at the end of the day and put it in the garage. Lawn equipment and trailers are so easy for thieves to get rid of or even use. I hope you and others find a better place to store your equipment. Thieves just ride neighborhoods like they are shopping at Wal Mart. They may even follow you home from a job and see where you put your equipment. I have seen people robbed more than one time so don't make the same mistake twice. I would go so far as to say I wouldn't choose a lawn care if I had no place to store my equipment out of site of thieves

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  6. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns Banned

Where did this happen at buddy? Keep an eye on Craigslist for both Austin, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. Watch it over the next few months, chances are they'll wait a few weeks or even a month or two and then try and sell them thinking their scott free. If you think you spotted it near Austin let me know and I'll be happy to meet up and check out the numbers for you.

Someone mentioned legality and being able to shoot the criminal. I'm a country boy, country raised. I have a camera system, beeping drive way sensors hooked up right next to my bed, a German Shepard on bark alert, and a 12 gauge next to the bed, and if I catch someone, my shot's on point, and my bird spread shells spread and don't miss. Had a neighbor had his trimmer stolen a few nights ago, mine are still out on the racks, that's how much confidence I have in my aim and my alarms.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I mentioned shooting them. The problem is that in most places property crimes don't qualify for a justified shooting outcome. Believe me, there's no bigger gun buff on this forum and I know how to shoot. ;)

I've been a victim of serious/costly theft 3 times in my life now. It sucks that in most states, if you do shoot someone for stealing your tools of trade/income source, you will be brought to trial for doing so. How screwed up this country become.:mad:

8. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns Banned

Some of us have done been to trial for a thieve trying to break in our homes or steal our property that we work for. While it may be the law, there's ways around the law. I went through a 16 month trial for shooting one trying to break in the house where my daughter and girl friend laid. Juries full of hard working people aren't fond of crooks. And the state of Texas isn't fond on crooks. Penal Code 9.31 says I'm the King of my house and I have the right to protect it and that's exactly what I did. I don't put that out there much, but if it comes down to it, I'd do it all over again. If someone isn't man enough to work and support their family and would rather steal it from another working man, my trailers loaded in the drive way right now. No pun taken, big guns or small guns, most will do the job and make a thieve not come back.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Well, that's a totally different scenario bro. Here, and in many states now, there are good castle doctrine laws in place. I will not hesitate to defend my home and anyone or thing in it, or anyone in one of my vehicles from anyone wanting to try to pull me or them out of it at a light (or anywhere else) for any reason.

I know quite well, and firsthand what juries think of crooks. I served as foreman of a jury for a double homicide last year.

10. OP
    OP
    rbljack

from Texas

thanks for the inputs yall. I have been watching all over craigslist to see what might show up, but nothing so far. I too am pro gun, but it doesn't matter. They got away with the gear without even being detected. It happened right in front of my house. Truck was hooked to the trailer, hitch lock on the trailer. All gear was locked on the trailer. What made it easy to steal was simply cutting the hitch lock I guess, and hooking it up to their truck and driving off with everything.

it totally sucks, and im really in a pissed off state these days. I drive around constantly looking at lawn equipment and trailers now wondering if they are using my stolen equipment. there aren't enough cops around to do a thorough job of criminal investigation in this town.

Case in point: I bought a new trailer with cash on hand Saturday. They issued me a temporary tag, but didn't have any cardboard, or method to attach it to the license plate mount on the trailer. So ...I just stuck the temp tag for the trailer in my lawn care book. ive been driving around with that trailer since LAST Saturday with NO tag on it, and haven't been stopped. you would think they would have an increased awareness for trailers maybe, and be on the look out...but my observations seem to contradict that theory.

I really worked hard to advance the business this year, and instead of being ALMOST out of debt, im in deeper than ever now. I used to think that financing a mower at zero percent was a good idea, because it could make you money while not paying any interest. I now will revise my statement to say, stick with cash! buy it when you have cash on hand AND have enough cash on hand to account for emergencies that can AND will crop up. Since the theft, I've had to spend over 1800 dollars JUSt to get equipment to keep going...if I didn't have those reserves available.....id be on my way out of business probably.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014