1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer AND Equipment stolen!! Beware and Help

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by rbljack, Sep 23, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns Banned

Buying cash from now on is a wise idea. Every piece of equipment I'e bought for my business has been a cash purchase. Not to mention you get a better deal when paying cash for anything you buy, cash is always king. As far as the equipment and theft. Just remember, there was a guy that just posted on here about them hitting him not once, but twice. They will come back if you make it just as easy for them so you need to do something to protect yourself or make it more difficult for them. I understand they cut your lock, but how did they get the trailer out? A thief can steal nearly anything, but you can detour them if you make it difficult to them. They like to take the easy way out, or the easy money. Good practice, do as I do if you are able to. My trailer stays loaded, I back the truck all the way up to the garage to a point to where the gate is touching the garage. There's no way to let that trailer gate down to unload anything. On the right side is the wall, on a left side is a wall, so there's no unloading zero turns from the side. My trucks hooked in front of the trailer blocking it in where you can't move the trailer out of the space. Then my wifes car parks in front of my truck. The only way your taking that trailer or the mowers off of it is if you steal the wife's car, then somehow get in the truck past the alarm, get it started, and me not hear the loud exhaust when it's started. It may not be fool proof, but it's difficult for any thief looking for easy money.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Plus, there are tongue locks that are almost impossible to break/cut without a torch and a lot of time. I bought one years ago for a new boat and trailer I bought. I don't have a picture of it right now, but I still have it. No one is cutting that little lock off without either the torch like I said, or a battery operated sawzall, several blades and a lot of time and noise, and I'n not too sure a sawzall could do it. The lock is specially hardened to defeat stuff like that.

3. lopealle

lopealle LawnSite Member

Please post the info on that lock I would like to, get one for my trailer.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I bought it many years ago at a boat supply store. I can't recall who made it, but I know the reason I bought it was all the stuff I posted above, especially since it was a new boat and trailer.

Here are some pics I just snapped of it-

100_2719.jpg

100_2720.jpg

5. lopealle

lopealle LawnSite Member

Thanks I will have to take the photos with me to try and find it

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

The area that fits through the tongue latch/lever is just a hair wider than the latch, so you can't get a saw blade in between the end pieces to cut the smaller shaft that goes through the latch. I'd go to trailer and boat supply places to look first.

7. OP
    OP
    rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well, still no news. I refuse to close the doors, and want to keep doing this as a side business. I gotta say though, it REALLY sucks to be out there mowing and have nothing to do except think about the equipment I lost, and how much slower and less efficient I am now. I have to load and unload all equipment every night. I don't have any equipment on racks at the moment because I only have ONE FS130 power head, and have to switch between edger and trimmer shafts. Not having a back pack blower is also a limiting factor.

Anyways, I haven't been posting much because ive not been in the best of moods. Still kicking though. Good luck to everyone

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Keep the faith. Things will get better.

Walker56 likes this.
  9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get me wrong but you should have been loading and unloading all of your equipment every night all along...As was said don't make it easy on them, also I would start looking into keeping your things on your own property. Not sure where you live but I'd think even a 10x20 shed would be cheaper than constant storage fees.

10. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

rbljack,
    I hope your customers appreciate what you are going thru and they stick by you when times are tough. Good luck getting back in the saddle.