1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer AND Equipment stolen!! Beware and Help

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by rbljack, Sep 23, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Interesting and ironic that you should say that because the cooler weather has come in, and they have started with the "my grass doesn't need mowing this week, so lets just hold off till next week and see what happens routine.

Sigh

2. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns Banned

Funny you say that. I have a oriental family, the lady text me the wife text me saying "The grass isn't growing at all, hold off until the week before Thanksgiving." I say to myself, okay, Winter must truly be setting in. Today I'm passing by there to do a neighbors house, the St. Augustine is 5-6" tall! :hammerhead: I immediately text her, I just passed by your house, your grass is at 5" plus which is beyond needing cut. I can hold off until before thanksgiving, but you know each week the grass gets taller, the price goes up due to wear and tear on my equipment, right? "Uh, okay. Go ahead and cut it." I wanted to say so bad, you mean to tell me all them times you and the whole family, kiddoes, were getting ready and leaving to eat out at Chilli's while I was sweating in your yard, how would I guess when it comes the end of the season you would be one of the ones trying to SAVE A FEW BUCKS?

3. curleelawncare

curleelawncare LawnSite Member

Sorry for your loss. Damn crackheads got me on the night of 11/11/14. Had trailer backed up to a fence with maybe only a 3 foot gap. Somehow, they let the gate down and feed all my handheld equipment through a hole in the top to someone on the outside. Trailer was locked as well as weed eater racks on ther inside. Both locks cut and left in trailer on floor. Stole 2 weed eaters, 2 edgers, blower, bed redifiner, chainsaw, hedge trimmers, etc. BASTARDS!!! Like the original poster of this post, I did not have my insurance up to date with my CURRENT equipment list. As we grow, we fail to update necessary records. Please take the time to document what you have and update policies. I know it's hard while busy, but waiting for downtime is not an option. Although insurance replaced some, it didn't even come close to total loss.

4. OP
    OP
    rbljack

from Texas

sorry to hear about this. As the original poster, I certainly know how you feel. Ive spent a ton of money this year replacing gear, and picking up additional cost to get the correct insurance which isn't cheap to have and carry. My head is still spinning because when trying to compare policies, they have so many difference things on each. Things like deductibles for EACH piece of individually listed equipment. Yep...the best advice I can give at this point to the friends and co-posters of this site is to verify your insurance regularly. Ask lots of questions. Sucks to find out your not insured when you THOUGHT you were. Or, you have to pay a 500 deductible on each piece of equipment you have, and they only cost 350. Those are just examples of a few of the things I discovered while researching the inland marine policies.

My entire daily process has changed, and become quite the PITA since Ive had to change my routines, and how I store my equipment each day. Not too mention the ZTR payments Ill be making for the next WHO KNOWS how many years to pay it off. I get fired up EVERY DAY about this, and its affected my overall outlook, my productivity, and my quality of work becaue I don't have the same level of equipment and cannot afford to replace all of it at once.

They stole more than just equipment from me, They took equipment, my hard earned money, food off my families table, peace of mind, ELK Tags, YES....you heard that right, I was planning a LONG AWAITED ELK HUNT that we cant afford to go do now, affected our Christmas, our budget, and that's all I have to say about it for today. I'm rambling, and sorry to hear they got to your stuff as well. Good luck in trying to recover any of it.

Not trying to sound like an arse, just saying it because its the realistic outlook to have. Its been almost tw0 months now, and our local police hasn't been able to recover my equipment.

Check your insurance, check it often, and take measures to secure your equipment. To many people in our society today feel they are more entitled to whats YOURS than you. remember that.:nono:

5. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sorry for your losses. One can't explain how bad that makes a person feel. The way we earn our equipment is by cash from hard earned labor. I started with a Walmart leaf blower and worked my way up to a backpack blower. When I see the backpack blower I just remember all the lawns I did with the 100mph handheld leaf blower. And all the times I filled up that little tank and worked three times as hard as I had too. I remember the push mowing I did to afford my walk behind mower. The Echo hedge trimmer I bought cash, I remember all the trees I trimmed with a $120 hedge trimmer on Ebay.

My point is you can't remember all those lawns you did on your way up to get that big equipment. This was a very sad thread to read. I hope you don't give up and keep going. Find ways to stay motivated and stay prepared. Put a sign that says thieves will be shot in the yard and buy a gun.

Best of luck

6. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

And write down the model and serial numbers of every piece of equipment you own. Not only will that prove it's yours if it is recovered, it'll help send the thief to jail. I had an apartment broken into once and we suspected it was an inside job. When they found the stereo, guns, etc. I read off the serial numbers as they got to each piece of equipment. Bingo, everything matched. I got my stuff back and he got to make small rocks out of big ones.

7. PicturePerfectLawns

Original Poster, could you shed some light on where abouts this happen in Texas? Texas is a big state.

8. OP
    OP
    rbljack

from Texas

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Sitting around this morning and looking for something to read, I came across this thread. Rbljack, sorry to hear about the theft. Unfortunately, not nearly as many people read the specific topic forums like this one as they do the general forum, myself included.

This one should be posted everywhere, because it is a perfect example of why one should always carry adequate, updated, insurance coverage. Inland marine coverage is not that expensive. My current coverage has a $1000 deductible, so if someone snags my BP or a couple of trimmers, I'm SOL, but if my whole rig was stolen, or one of my Ztr's, I could be back in business with a minimal outlay of cash. Ditto on my trailer, which is listed on my commercial auto policy.

And, speaking of commercial auto insurance, my wife argued with me for a week when I got the policy several years ago that we didn't need it since I'm a solo operation. Well, what if you have an accident while pulling your trailer and equipment, and your insurance carrier happens to notice that little detail in the accident report?

Life is full of risks. The goal is to minimize yours.

10. PicturePerfectLawns