1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer brake upgrade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Apr 13, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 5' 4" x12' landscape trailer. 6 years old. New tires. 3500 lb axle, torsion suspension, crank up wheel/foot welded to unit.. Well built with tubular steel where many just use angle iron, costs about $1200 new. But the expanded metal on the ramp needs replacing. Otherwise in fine shape. I also feel like I need to get trailer brakes for safety. I like the size, which isn't that common, since I can fit two full size mowers on it and the width of the wheels matches my pickup, so it's less trouble to keep on the road. I also would prefer not to deal with two sets of tires.

Should I fix my trailer ramp and upgrade the brakes or just sell it for a few hundred and apply that towards a new trailer?

What does it cost to upgrade to a simple trailer brake system, including brakes, controller, etc? A do-it-yourself project or best left to pros?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You upgrade it with brakes, and you'll have around 14-15 into it. Here, you can buy a brand new 12 or 14 ft. with brakes for that much. I just priced a 20', with wrapped tongue, brakes on both axles, and heavy duty lift gate, for $1850 out the door.

3. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

If you like your current trailer and it fits your needs, I would stick with it and just do the repairs/upgrades. I don't have exact figures, but there are several on-line trailer parts. Looks to be a simple install. Plus, steel prices/lead times are getting crazy. Just my .02

4. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce,
    I had a 6.5x14' single axle trailer with leaf springs that I upgraded with brakes. I think the cost for the brakes was $200.00. I thought it was pretty straight forward. You need a good ground. As far as the controller I installed a Tekonsha Voyager. The installation is easy if you have a newer truck. I have a 96 Ford F250. According to the instructions the Big 3 are already wired. You have to contact the truck dealer for the plug to go from the factory wiring to the controller. About $15.00. The Tekonsha controller is nice because it only lights up when the trailer is plugged into the truck and there is a complete circuit with the trailer brakes. If you ever lose continuity to the trailer brakes you'll know before an emergency occurs. My new used truck has a cheaper generic controller that lights up whenever the truck brakes are activated. Hope this helps. PM me or email me if you have more questions. There is a BIG difference stopping a trailer with brakes. Matt

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd sell it and get a new trailer. It's only money. It's all a write off. Even if you like how the trailer is the width of your truck you can get a new one the same dimensions. FYI, a tandem trailer is easier to back up than a single axle.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks, I'll look into how to upgrade them on the web and elsewhere.

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would upgrade your existing trailer. I think you would spend a lot less money then buying a new one. It sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to put brakes on it or fix the back. Personally, I hate to spend money on new trailers and stuff especially since they aren't new anymore after you buy them, I like to really wear stuff like that out.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go to a trailer dealer around you. (Did you purchase your trailer new around there?) Sometimes, they can sell you a whole axle all built with brakes for the price it will cost you to do it yourself...especially if they'll take a trade on your old axle.

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

ck out the sponsor on here for trailer parts

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you lived near Tampa FL it would cost you about $150 for a brake package consisting of: backing plate w/brakeshoes, brake drums, new bearings/seals. Add to that a few bucks for some primary wire and anywhere from $49 to well over $100 for a brake controller. Installation is simple and straight forward. First remove your existing hubs and wheel bearings. You should see a square plate with 4 holes (one in each corner) on your axel. This is where the new backing plate and shoes gets mounted. After the backing plate and drum is mounted it's just a matter of running the wires to your connector and controller as per the instructions. You'll notice a big difference with brakes and your trucks brakes will last a lot longer.